Is it worth me trying to learn something new?

Hi all. I’m in two minds whether to start learning something again. I’ve always loved being creative and I love games and movies. In the past I considered creating my own game or movie, I focused more on my own movie and got so far before losing the hyper fixation and motivation. I also didn’t give myself much time to learn, deciding I was rubbish and gave up.

But compared to last time I am now armed with the knowledge that I have autism and ADHD. The diagnosis of ADHD explained my sudden loss of hyper fixation, an issue I do still have but now I’m an adult I’m hopeful I can overcome this or at least return to any project when my hyperness returns.

I’ve looked online and there’s a powerful software tool called blender which is free to use and more than capable of creating graphics for a game or characters for a movie. My worry though is that it takes years to become skilled at using blender and I’m not a fast leaner... That puts me off slightly but looking at videos online and seeing what I could make when I am better at using blender gives me hope.

But given my diagnosis of ADHD and my past failures and lack of confidence I do worry this will end badly. But then I’m always putting myself down which is why I’m in the slightly depressed fix I’m in now. I have a solid idea for a cool animated movie which if I learned blender I could eventually make. I can mimic voices and have done some voice acting online in the past. I can see my goal. I know I can do some bits but the hardest bit is years away and almost feels like I can never reach it. But I want to. But I don’t want to fail at this or overwhelm myself.

Not entirely sure which way to go from here.

Parents
  • Hello,

why not have a go before worrying about what may or not happen? I recently completed a painting project but it was tough due to my dyspraxia but I did it and can take pride in it. I messed up over using the wrong varnish but this is all part of the learning process. I will simply re-varnish if it ever stops raining. We all learn differently so do it at your pace. We are not designed to be perfect but to learn from our mistakes so see them as a positive not a negative. 

• Hello,

why not have a go before worrying about what may or not happen? I recently completed a painting project but it was tough due to my dyspraxia but I did it and can take pride in it. I messed up over using the wrong varnish but this is all part of the learning process. I will simply re-varnish if it ever stops raining. We all learn differently so do it at your pace. We are not designed to be perfect but to learn from our mistakes so see them as a positive not a negative. 

Children
No Data