New to NAS forums and my first posted question was flagged for spam/abuse almost immediately. Does anyone have experience of this happening?

Hey all,

I joined the NAS forums very recently and have been chatting with a few people across a couple of different forum threads. Earlier today I finally decided to post my first question in search of advice, as I've been encountering some difficulties enjoying one of my hobbies due to anxiety. I will admit that the question was quite long, but I was a bit taken aback to see that the question was almost immediately flagged as Spam/Abuse. I will say that I did try to edit the post as I thought I had made the text too large, so perhaps there is a possibility I accidentally posted it twice, but I don't know how likely that is. I made sure to submit an appeal as soon as I saw it.

Has anyone else had any issues with this? I am a little worried I may have done something wrong as, again, this was my first question posted on the forum!

Any info would be much appreciated Slight smile

• yes, this will activate it after 3 edits I believe.

There are also keywords that trigger it (I once used a word that was a contraction of only and fans and it triggered the block.

More than 3 links or linking to sites considered unsuitable (p0rn, gambling, drugs etc)

It is a sensitive wee beastie this filter.

• IT Manager, indeed! Thanks Iain, this is great. I think someone once said amending your own post too many times too.

• I've been doing some testing around this and my findings show recent changes have improved things:

Quoting from a post more than once.

I can now quote from previous posts in the same thread up to 3 times - more than this will trigger a block.

Adding more than one attachment

I can now add up to 3 images OK

Adding text from somewhere else

It is simpler to select "paste without formatting" to remove this issue. You can then use the formatting tools at the bottom of the window you are typing your response into to make the text italic, bold ot whatever to show it is quoted.

• Just bumping this.

I've started several threads on this subject over the 2 years I've been here but it's still happening and people are still being disturbed by it.

There seem to be several ways in which the spam filter (it was Akismet) can throw our posts out, including, but not limited to.

a.  Quoting from a post more than once.

b.  Adding more than one attachment.

c.  Adding text from somewhere else.

Unfortunately, we then get an error message saying that we have been reported which we haven't so that's a major stressor for people who have never experienced this before.

• Yippee!!! I'm glad they were able to free it up for you. Blush

• Hey everyone,

Just wanted to update this thread to let people know that I was contacted via email earlier today, and the flagged post mentioned above has now been allowed Slight smile

Thanks again to all those who responded with information about the spam/abuse system!

• Do you know what platform will be used for the new forum? 

No - sorry.

• Do you know what platform will be used for the new forum? 

• Haha don't worry it's definitely not you-I imagine every member at one time or another has received the flagged post message with the write your appeal message box. 

They're normally pretty quick at sorting flagged posts so hopefully it will be sorted quickly for you. Relaxed

• The land nobody wants to visit. Poor Spam Land. Sob

• Thank you for the information. I'll try to keep this in mind next time I plan to start a discussion Thumbsup

• Hey Paige, 

Thank you for the quick response and the information! It's reassuring to know that this isn't an isolated issue, I was a little worried I may have done something wrong!

As I've already submitted an appeal I might hold off contacting the CM for now as I don't want to barrage them. If I don't hear anything in the next day or so I'll think about pinging them an email.

Thanks again for the help! Thumbsup

• Useful information for me too. I'm glad to know that it wasn't a user. Thanks.

• There are some things you can do to avoid this happening and at the moment I can only think of one, doh.

Don't quote people much - any more than 3 quotes in your email is likely to send you into Spam Land.

• This is a known forum fault and it's longstanding.

No-one has reported you.

It's because the spam filter (Akismet) over compensates.

It happens frequently but when it picks on me I can no longer post until the mods approve it and I have to use a second ID.

We have a new forum being created at the moment and then everything will be Hunky Dory (theoretically).

Welcome Blush

• I had this happen very recently and made an appeal and it reappeared with no explanation. My guess is that anyone can flag a post, but only a mod can reinstate it. (I'm assuming there was no spam nor abuse in your post either.)

• I think it's a typical bug on this forum for many members. Thinking I seem to recall this happened to me a few times last year. It's more likely to happen if you edit your post or do too many quotes. That's caught me out twice-so far. 

If you email the CM and report it-then she'll report it on to the IT team. 

communitymanager@nas.org.uk

Hopefully your post will be freed for you tomorrow. Relaxed