Buying items related to your special interests

Does anyone else do this? I buy soo many things to do with my special interests-like Lego I've got so much to do with Lego-I have dvds, books, pictures, sets, cards and mimifigures! And it's the same with my other special interest which is the Titanic! I love everything to do with the Titanic. I've got dvds, books,  models, cds, blueprints and research it whenever I can. I first heard of it at school-about 5 years ago-and I've been obsessed ever since. 

Today I looked in the charity shops as I happened to be in town looking for Vaseline-and in one charity shop I found yet another Titanic movie dvd. I've got several versions, each one is different whether it's a different cover-or with different special features. I hadn't had this one sooo I decided I needed it straight away!

As a bonus I picked up a book called The Starless Sea as I've heard good things about it-and both were only £1.50 together. Bargain! Relaxed️ 

Another special interest for me is dvds and I own soo many it's hard to store them now but when I see a dvd-or a limited edition I become obsessed and have to get it-asap.

Parents
  • Thanks for raising this thread :-)

Collecting obsessively seems to be an autistic trait yes?  Certainly one I have engaged in a lot - model aeroplanes mainly in my case.  (My name is Andrew and I'm a modelaholic!)  It is satisfying to do so.  There's also a lovely bond with others who share the same interest when one is not so good at small talk.

collecting can though be somewhat consuming of resources - both of space and money.  It can increase one's vulnerability to financial exploitation.  Buying things one needs from charity shops is a win-win though.

Accumulation versus giving seems to be a tricky balance for individuals in society generally. On reflection both these things appear to me to be getting away from some of one's life stressors, engaging in reward processes and in future planning.

Recently I have called a moratorium on collecting models.  Partly this was the realisation that at current rate of completion I would need many years beyond normal life expectancy and having a good look at present finances (realising any practical value from them is unlikely in my life time as I can't bear to part with them!).  Also my lovely sister who lives with diabetes explained to me her approach to chocolates.  She picks one from the tin, imagines what it is like to eat it and, satiated, returns it - will power learned the hard way I believe.

The last model I bought (and have resisted temptation since) was the same (and only) one that my mum bought for me.  I suspect that this has some symbolism. 

• Thanks for raising this thread :-)

Collecting obsessively seems to be an autistic trait yes?  Certainly one I have engaged in a lot - model aeroplanes mainly in my case.  (My name is Andrew and I'm a modelaholic!)  It is satisfying to do so.  There's also a lovely bond with others who share the same interest when one is not so good at small talk.

collecting can though be somewhat consuming of resources - both of space and money.  It can increase one's vulnerability to financial exploitation.  Buying things one needs from charity shops is a win-win though.

Accumulation versus giving seems to be a tricky balance for individuals in society generally. On reflection both these things appear to me to be getting away from some of one's life stressors, engaging in reward processes and in future planning.

Recently I have called a moratorium on collecting models.  Partly this was the realisation that at current rate of completion I would need many years beyond normal life expectancy and having a good look at present finances (realising any practical value from them is unlikely in my life time as I can't bear to part with them!).  Also my lovely sister who lives with diabetes explained to me her approach to chocolates.  She picks one from the tin, imagines what it is like to eat it and, satiated, returns it - will power learned the hard way I believe.

The last model I bought (and have resisted temptation since) was the same (and only) one that my mum bought for me.  I suspect that this has some symbolism. 

Children
No Data