Buying items related to your special interests

Does anyone else do this? I buy soo many things to do with my special interests-like Lego I've got so much to do with Lego-I have dvds, books, pictures, sets, cards and mimifigures! And it's the same with my other special interest which is the Titanic! I love everything to do with the Titanic. I've got dvds, books,  models, cds, blueprints and research it whenever I can. I first heard of it at school-about 5 years ago-and I've been obsessed ever since. 

Today I looked in the charity shops as I happened to be in town looking for Vaseline-and in one charity shop I found yet another Titanic movie dvd. I've got several versions, each one is different whether it's a different cover-or with different special features. I hadn't had this one sooo I decided I needed it straight away!

As a bonus I picked up a book called The Starless Sea as I've heard good things about it-and both were only £1.50 together. Bargain! Relaxed️ 

Another special interest for me is dvds and I own soo many it's hard to store them now but when I see a dvd-or a limited edition I become obsessed and have to get it-asap.

Parents
  • I love collecting things. My father used to call me a magpie because I went out and brought so many random things back home with me. I’ve reigned it in now I’m an adult although I still love collecting stuff but I don’t have a lot of space so I have to be more disciplined now. The thing I collect most is books.

As you can see I own a lot of books.

I would love to get more but space is becoming a bit of a problem for me so I’ve taken to buying more books on my kindle to help with the space problem.

I also have a lovely collection of Barbie dolls.

Most I got as a child but some I’ve collected more recently. They live in my drawer Grin

I’ve also got an enormous collection of CDs and vinyl which I really do not have the space for but I keep buying anyway. I’ll likely regret it in the end...

I really need to stop but I can't help it I love collecting things. 

• I really need to stop but I can't help it I love collecting things

I did talk my collecting issues through with my therapist and they said it was part of a "nesting" type reaction to surrounding yourself with things that made you feel safe and happy.

When this starts to get too much for the space you have they suggested I allow myself to continue but I needed to have a way to limit what I kept.

The advice was to set aside a space for the things to be stored in and if I wanted to put something else in once it filled up then an existing amount had to come out to make the space.

That is why I donate a lot of the books I have read to people here who have the same interests and are trying to expand their English skills - I'll often get then calling to ask what a bunch of words mean that aren't in the dictionary - some are genre specific or old slang terms or even just typos, but the drive to continue reading helps them learn and grow their skills through practice.

I only really keep books that I have the strongest sentimental attachment to - the 1970s edition of Isaac Asimovs Foundation trilogy that I bought when on a road trip around the highlands when I was a boy for example, or a gift some someone special long ago. Luckily these don't need much space so a good 95% of the collection is in flux.

• I really need to stop but I can't help it I love collecting things

I did talk my collecting issues through with my therapist and they said it was part of a "nesting" type reaction to surrounding yourself with things that made you feel safe and happy.

When this starts to get too much for the space you have they suggested I allow myself to continue but I needed to have a way to limit what I kept.

The advice was to set aside a space for the things to be stored in and if I wanted to put something else in once it filled up then an existing amount had to come out to make the space.

That is why I donate a lot of the books I have read to people here who have the same interests and are trying to expand their English skills - I'll often get then calling to ask what a bunch of words mean that aren't in the dictionary - some are genre specific or old slang terms or even just typos, but the drive to continue reading helps them learn and grow their skills through practice.

I only really keep books that I have the strongest sentimental attachment to - the 1970s edition of Isaac Asimovs Foundation trilogy that I bought when on a road trip around the highlands when I was a boy for example, or a gift some someone special long ago. Luckily these don't need much space so a good 95% of the collection is in flux.

Children
No Data