Not finishing things

I never finish anything. 

Lol it's literally like it sounds. I start things and then I just abandon it. I started learning the guitar, stopped after a day. I write, either just for fun or working on a book or assignments...then I just stop.

I think I lose interest or mmaybe it's anxiety that it won't be any good? Anxiety that I'll fail?

Then just now I started making a sandwich and drink and stopped midway through no longer feeling interested in it. This causes me issues at times with self neglect because I don't eat and drink enough... and my school stuff goes unfinished.

Just curious really as to why I'm like this and if anyone else about this site can relate to it. I tell my family and they just stare at me. 

If it's something you do to let me know, would be nice if it's not just a me thing!BlushBlush

Parents
  • Whilst I've always had difficulty completing things that I didn't want to do and had no interest in, I never seemed to experience issues completing things that I enjoyed, such as my hobbies. However, as I've got older (I'm 49), this has changed, to the extent that I can struggle to even get started.

For example, I used to enjoy decorating. After having some plastering work done in my bedroom approximately 10 years ago, I had purchased the supplies I required to re-paint the ceiling, walls and woodwork. After all this time, my bedroom remains undecorated, and I feel it would be a miracle if the paint I'd purchased hasn't dried out by now.

One of my hobbies is diamond painting. Approximately 2½ years ago, I had got started on a diamond painting kit (a picture measuring 50cm x 40cm), and completed less than a quarter of it. I have every intention of finishing it, but for the past 2½ years it has remained untouched, taking up space on my kitchen table.

My inability to complete, or get started on tasks used to bother me. Now, I try not to allow it to affect my mood too much, which admittedly can be easier said than done. I'm a great believer that hobbies should be enjoyable, so it seems pointless to force myself into doing them if I'm not in the right frame of mind. Relaxed

• Hey Sporadic Sparkly WaveBlush 

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry you struggle with getting in to some things now, this is something I can totally relate to. I struggle to get motivated with so many things. Like all day I thought after school I'd sort through my cds and did I. Nope! My cds are still waiting to be done like your paint.

I don't know why you struggle with motivation to do things but for me I think it's possible because I get utterly exhausted when I do things, worse when I've been out to school or gone shopping. I get real tired really easy and I'm sure half the time that's why I struggle with motivation. I've also been informed of ADHD and some of what I read could mean I've got ADHD as well as autism. Something to look in to maybe. 

Btw just looked at your profile and saw your diamond paintings! They're lovely! Relaxed️ I never heard of that before but I might take it up at some point it looks like a lot of fun. The Christmas dog one is my fav so cute! Blush

Makes sense to do things when your in the right frame of mind. If your mind and heart aren't in it then your not going to want to do it. I feel that's important when you're trying to do certain things.
  • If I think back to when I was at school (back in the dark ages), all I wanted to do was flop in a chair and do nothing. After a day at school, I just wanted to switch off. Of course, this wasn't always possible when I had homework that needed doing. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that you didn't get around to sorting through your CDs.

Since becoming a member here and reading about the experiences of people with an additional diagnosis of ADHD, I have often wondered about ADHD in relation to myself. Whilst I remain undecided about pursuing a diagnostic assessment for it, I am open to the idea that I might well be ADHD.

Thank you for your kind and complimentary words about the diamond paintings featured on my profile. If you decide to give diamond painting a try and have a branch of The Range local to you, it might be worth paying a visit.

• If I think back to when I was at school (back in the dark ages), all I wanted to do was flop in a chair and do nothing. After a day at school, I just wanted to switch off. Of course, this wasn't always possible when I had homework that needed doing. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that you didn't get around to sorting through your CDs.

Since becoming a member here and reading about the experiences of people with an additional diagnosis of ADHD, I have often wondered about ADHD in relation to myself. Whilst I remain undecided about pursuing a diagnostic assessment for it, I am open to the idea that I might well be ADHD.

Thank you for your kind and complimentary words about the diamond paintings featured on my profile. If you decide to give diamond painting a try and have a branch of The Range local to you, it might be worth paying a visit.

Children
No Data