That feeling of not belonging/fitting in

I don't know whether it's because I'm not a pure autistic person, I also have severe mental illness, but I find it hard to fit in here. Others here seem to have no difficulty bonding with each other, and chatting like they've known each other for many years. That's a great social skill to have., but one I don't have. For want of a better phrase I'd say other posters  here are 'socially adept' in a way I'll never be. They lead far more high powered lives. 

They have/have had good careers . Have good academic qualifications. I never had a paid job, and only did a bit of voluntary work. My academic qualifications stopped at 6 O levels. I've never pursued further education due to bullying related trauma.  I have to have a lot of practical support because of poor adaptive functioning ability.

Parents
  • I think it’s quite common experience even here in our autistic society. I also sometimes think I don’t fit here. I’m actually dreaming about having a group meeting for all (willing) to meet in real life and do some activities together. It would be so interesting to see the people we are interacting with online. But then I think that it could go wrong or not happen at all. Because meeting so many people would overwhelm us. And I also think if hmm would I actually fit in? 
    just my loud thoughts. 

• When I think of a "live" meeting, I wonder if we'd all end up sitting in a circle and say our names and special interest/s and then silence, maybe a few people would share an interest, but I think there'd be a fair few of us sat there wondering why we were there.

• Yes! Exactly! I think maybe I would find some topic with someone but otherwise I would also be one of the sitting in the circle and wondering what to say should I say something or not etc. probably most of us would wonder the same thing. Unless there would be some activities where we could socialize without having to speak much. 

• I think I'd be sat on the sideliines being a gooseberry for all the activities you suggest, either that or I'd be cookiing everyone dinner.

Reply Children
No Data