Different kind of library …

Absolutely! In different parts of the UK, folks are turning beloved red telephone boxes into adorable mini-libraries, offering a cosy spot for casual book exchanges with no rules about registration or fines. It's a heartwarming response to the challenges facing public libraries. The very first telephone box library was born in Westbury-Sub-Mendip, Somerset in 2009 when the local mobile library faced funding cuts.

I'm excited to share that I picked up "Room" by Emma Donoghue, "An American Marriage" by Tayari Jones, and "Never Greener" by Ruth Jones.  

• I used to every week, now it's more like once a month, the wait for books is ridiculous and about the only books in there I'd read are ones that I've already read at least twice, often ones I've asked them for. Even top 10 best sellers take ages to come in or they have to borrow them from other libraries who of course prioritise their own customers rather than ones from out of county.

• Devon locals have blasted the decision to relocate the local Library into a much smaller space after it was threatened with a rent hike. A review by the library service's landlord, the local charity, concluded that after years of charging the library a low rent with no heating costs, the rent needed to rise to meet the charity's increasing costs.

Rent increases have resulted in the local library relocating into a much smaller room within the community hub. Further criticism was sparked when a lift to reach the new library had to be closed off after a fault developed just hours after it had been serviced. The lift was back up and running the next day morning after it was checked by an engineer. However, neither Libraries Unlimited, the charity that runs libraries in Devon on Devon County Council's behalf, nor the council itself, were able to afford the proposed increase within its current budget. 

Instead, it was agreed local library would move from the ground floor to the first floor via a lift at the community hub, and in a smaller room with no rent increase. library will remain open 17.5 hours a week. The room it was previously in will now be rented out five-and-a-half days a week between 9 am to 4.30 pm.

Used to enjoy going to the library in the bigger room. Last year was so bad I'd nearly thrown up.

There's a WhatsApp group to restore the library. Also setting up a friend of the library group.

Do you visit the library often?

• I think it's great especially in rural and tourist areas like here, lots of people backpack aorund the coastal path and it means they don't have to carry loads of books with them.

Our council run library is so underfunded, I ordered some books in march and I'm still waiting.