It's easier to categorise the intelligence of a neurotypical person

IMO. Others may disagree. I've  been called everything from a genius to a fool. I've never come across a neurotypical

person with such differing opinions as to how intelligent they are. A situation can occur whereby you are deemed too intelligent to need help and support with x, and yet

not intelligent enough to make use of help with y.

Parents Reply Children
  • My learning started with a simple google search for something similar to, can't remember exactly, 'good verbally , not so good non-verbally' . That lead to results about non-verbal learning disorder and from there to autism. Those articles about autism often  mentioned uneven cognitive ability. 

I had wondered for a good number of decades why I was reasonably intelligent, but that was not reflected in my academic achievement . It  was purely by chance that I found the answer in coming across the following article- https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/psychology/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2022.958013/full     Within it it mentioned that academic achievement in those of school age has more to do with executive functioning than to do with IQ.

My EF is far from the best , especially when it comes to organising and planning. I have difficulty prioritising what needs to be done within  multistep tasks. That, and other things I've mentioned, has lead to ADD being mentioned by several people. As I've got to 67 without any (mental) health professional flagging that up, I  don't think it applies in my case. 

• Golly, How do you find out about cognitive profiles and such? I had a learning difficulties assessment and a diagnosis of Aspergers as it was called then.