Acronyms and stuff

I seem to be the only one who dosen't understand acronyms and initialised words and phrases. It's very disconcerting to read a post or a whole thread where I find I don't understand what people are talking about because of acronyms and stuff. Is this just me being an old fogey who dosen't understand text speak  or something?

Parents
  • At work I find it funny when I ask people what acronyms they use mean, and they can't tell me. It lowers the importance of their message. Often the acronym takes longer to say than the term they are 'summarising' so I think the reason people use them is to create their own tribal language.

I use a few emoji's because it seems expected, I use the rolling on the floor laughing if I think something is supposed to be funny even if it doesn't make me laugh, I use weather emojis to describe the weather, thumb up when I agree but too tired to type a reply, and a purple heart for things other people say I like. I mostly ignore the emoji's people send to me as they are too small and hard to read.

• At work I find it funny when I ask people what acronyms they use mean, and they can't tell me. It lowers the importance of their message. Often the acronym takes longer to say than the term they are 'summarising' so I think the reason people use them is to create their own tribal language.

I use a few emoji's because it seems expected, I use the rolling on the floor laughing if I think something is supposed to be funny even if it doesn't make me laugh, I use weather emojis to describe the weather, thumb up when I agree but too tired to type a reply, and a purple heart for things other people say I like. I mostly ignore the emoji's people send to me as they are too small and hard to read.

Children