Too neurotypical to be autistic but too autistic to be neurotypical

Lately I've felt like I don't fit. Like I don't struggle enough to be considered autistic. I do struggle, of course. I probably struggle more than neurotypicals do. And I know that being autistic isn't only about struggling. But sometimes it feels like I am faking it. Like it's just another mask that I put on. These sentences are so hard to write. It's like trying to catch a specific snowflake in the blizzard that is my brain. So I'll just stop here. Have you ever felt this way?

Parents
  • Mee too

Im 49 and as Sally said gone through mainstream school, work, friends and everything else in between. My son is autistic and I have so many similarities to him as well as I understand him like no one else can. Yes I do feel fake sometimes depending on my mental state and even feel sometimes like I shouldn’t be on here due to not being diagnosed, I do seem to fit here though and am extremely comfortable being part of this community…. It’s been such a positive thing for me to be here. I can also feel alone even though I’m surrounded by people and loved ones. 

• Mee too

Im 49 and as Sally said gone through mainstream school, work, friends and everything else in between. My son is autistic and I have so many similarities to him as well as I understand him like no one else can. Yes I do feel fake sometimes depending on my mental state and even feel sometimes like I shouldn’t be on here due to not being diagnosed, I do seem to fit here though and am extremely comfortable being part of this community…. It’s been such a positive thing for me to be here. I can also feel alone even though I’m surrounded by people and loved ones. 

Children
  • Yes I also had same thoughts like what I’m doing here, since I’m not diagnosed… but my various struggles especially now in new job just remind me that I’m on the spectrum. I feel like I fit here and this is the only social media I really like and enjoy. And it helps me emotionally a lot.