Too neurotypical to be autistic but too autistic to be neurotypical

Lately I've felt like I don't fit. Like I don't struggle enough to be considered autistic. I do struggle, of course. I probably struggle more than neurotypicals do. And I know that being autistic isn't only about struggling. But sometimes it feels like I am faking it. Like it's just another mask that I put on. These sentences are so hard to write. It's like trying to catch a specific snowflake in the blizzard that is my brain. So I'll just stop here. Have you ever felt this way?

Parents Reply Children
  • You're welcome. Also, have you seen the 3 Good Things thread? It is probably the most used thread on here and one of my favorites.

Yes, definitely. I was diagnosed when I was very young, not exactly sure when, because I can't remember it. I do remember seeing some books about autism and Asperger's on the counter when I was first diagnosed but I don't know when that was Slight smile. It was only this year that I started figuring out what that meant for my life, being more proud of my autism, and unmasking more. Now it is common knowledge among my peers that I am autistic and I'm glad of that. This year I also self-diagnosed myself with ADHD. My mom always thought of it as something I should hide and my school is very joke-y about disabilities in general, so I still have trouble telling people. SO. That was way longer than it was supposed to be.

• Ah thank you so much! 

Have you been diagnosed for long?