Son

Hi

I have a 14 year old son who has yet to be diagnosed, his psychologist is sure he has Aspergers and we are now on the ASD pathway.

He hasn't been to school for nearly 2 years and is home tutored, he was an A* pupil and on the gifted and talented register.

In the last month or two I have noticed uneplained marks and scratches on his body and this morning a really nasty soore on his leg.  I think he may be self harming and I don't know what to do.

Parents
  • Hi there, I have literally just joined this site and your thread was the second one I have read and it's exactly how my son is. My 11 year old was diagnosed just 10 days ago with Aspergers. Always knew in my mind he was different to most kids as did he (it just makes him even more special to me, hes a fantastic young boy). He has a variety of sensory issues and one of them is itching, some materials drive him insane and he will scratch until he is bleeding, its trial and error with what he will wear. He said he doesn't do it on purpose, i do believe him. He can get a tiny spot and just pick and pick away at it until it's a patch of sore skin. He has awful marks on his arms and legs from raking at his skin. We recently had an incident at school where he got a pencil jammed into his foot (yes, right in there and surgery to remove it) since his mind has been on that healing his arms have cleared up a lot. He bathes in sea salt baths and I put lots of sudacrem on him at night. I do find when hes feeling a but off sorts he tends to scratch more. 

• Hi there, I have literally just joined this site and your thread was the second one I have read and it's exactly how my son is. My 11 year old was diagnosed just 10 days ago with Aspergers. Always knew in my mind he was different to most kids as did he (it just makes him even more special to me, hes a fantastic young boy). He has a variety of sensory issues and one of them is itching, some materials drive him insane and he will scratch until he is bleeding, its trial and error with what he will wear. He said he doesn't do it on purpose, i do believe him. He can get a tiny spot and just pick and pick away at it until it's a patch of sore skin. He has awful marks on his arms and legs from raking at his skin. We recently had an incident at school where he got a pencil jammed into his foot (yes, right in there and surgery to remove it) since his mind has been on that healing his arms have cleared up a lot. He bathes in sea salt baths and I put lots of sudacrem on him at night. I do find when hes feeling a but off sorts he tends to scratch more. 

Children
No Data