SLEEP HELP NEEDED

Hi my daughter is 11, recently diagnosed ASC, she has real troubles sleeping, once she's asleep she's fine but it can be 2am before she drops off. She still gets up and manages fine in school. I've tried all suggestions given and nothing changes.

GP told me a paediatrician needs to prescribe medication as they can't (this is our last option) she doesn't have a paediatrician as when diagnosed she was then discharged from clinic and her ADHD referral was refused because she didn't meet the criteria by 2 points.

Sleep has been an issue for her since the age of around 4

Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Is the lack of sleep interfering with her well being? If not it may not be something that needs correcting. She is old enough to entertain herself, yes? I knew a man (on the spectrum) who never ever slept. He didn't understand when his parents told him to sleep. He would just lie awake and think and never lost consciousness, ever, except once for 6 hours after a physical trauma. This is rare but the person so gifted is very special. He was very curious about what it was like to dream.

Some people don't need as much sleep as others. Meds. could actually interfere in her well being if she's fine as she is and it's her natural state, happy to have all that time to explore and enjoy herself. Perhaps give her things to occupy her time: microscope/ art/supplies/books/journals anything that floats her boat and see where it takes her in the wee hours. My sleepless friend was a bonifide genius,  perhaps...

• Is the lack of sleep interfering with her well being? If not it may not be something that needs correcting. She is old enough to entertain herself, yes? I knew a man (on the spectrum) who never ever slept. He didn't understand when his parents told him to sleep. He would just lie awake and think and never lost consciousness, ever, except once for 6 hours after a physical trauma. This is rare but the person so gifted is very special. He was very curious about what it was like to dream.

Some people don't need as much sleep as others. Meds. could actually interfere in her well being if she's fine as she is and it's her natural state, happy to have all that time to explore and enjoy herself. Perhaps give her things to occupy her time: microscope/ art/supplies/books/journals anything that floats her boat and see where it takes her in the wee hours. My sleepless friend was a bonifide genius,  perhaps...

Children
No Data