Does this mean someone isn’t Autistic

My Son is Autistic and my husband thinks that both he and his dad are. His dad says things like Autism means you don’t know what’s going on and don’t understand much.  He’s always surprised when my son does understand something. My father in law doesn’t seem to even mention or consider the triads of impairment. Surety if he was autistic himself he would know about these? 

Parents
  • Sounds like your father in law has a quite stereotypical view of autism that he doesn’t relate to himself. If he has never been diagnosed then he won’t automatically know about the condition even if he is autistic. And it affects people quite differently due to the large spectrum of traits. A lot of people who suspect they are autistic as adults come to that conclusion after researching it themselves after seeing an article or video about it that they relate quite strongly to, or having a child diagnosed that is very similar to them 

• Sounds like your father in law has a quite stereotypical view of autism that he doesn’t relate to himself. If he has never been diagnosed then he won’t automatically know about the condition even if he is autistic. And it affects people quite differently due to the large spectrum of traits. A lot of people who suspect they are autistic as adults come to that conclusion after researching it themselves after seeing an article or video about it that they relate quite strongly to, or having a child diagnosed that is very similar to them 

Children
No Data