AS-Diagnosis, Pros & Cons

Hi there,

I am self diagnosed with ASD and high masking. I am pretty much comfortable with my diagnosis. I use a lot of material (articles, podcasts...etc.) to understand myself much better and be increase the quality of my private, as well as, professional life. 

I have been considering having a professional diagnosis, yet it costs a lot of money in Berlin (where I love). I was wondering if there are any benefits of having my diagnosis documented apart from finding an explanation to the way I experience life, I have that already covered, and I am pretty comfortable with my self diagnosis, therefore I don't see a need for a professional diagnosis for the matter. 

Also considering that autism is neurodivergence and not a disorder, I am not sure if there would be any benefit of a documented diagnosis work wise.

What are your thoughts on this?

Many thanks in advance!

P.s. I am not judging or doubting the professional diagnosis, but just thinking out load!

Parents
  • Hi, I’m also self diagnosed and also living in Germany in Brandenburg state. For me the label could be potentially helpful in case of a noisy workplace (it would allow me to wear ear plugs and maybe avoid crying and panic attacks) but I can also see a potential risk of being ostracized by people who have no idea about autism. I’m my case I have a little child and I’m deadly afraid of Jugendamt coming and hovering over my family for a potential change of taking my daughter away for some maybe even minor reason, if I’m officially diagnosed. I’m not sure if my fear is reasonable or not, but I have it. I’ve heard a lot. I’m doing everything at home on my own, I don’t need any substantial support. 

• Hello there, thank you for sharing. I completely understand the fear of issues related to Jugendamt, your feeling are definitely legit, in my option! I guess it all relied to the lack on understanding of what autism is about, and how uninformed individuals could make certain judgements that might dramatically impact your life. I do wear headphones ALL THE TIME, in workspace, public transportation and even when I am waking in a noisy area, I believe I can navigate workspaces while keeping my headphones on, without the need to provide a diagnosis of autism to my employers. As you mentioned, I fear the same, I would prefer to keep this information to myself in the work context. 

• Hello there, thank you for sharing. I completely understand the fear of issues related to Jugendamt, your feeling are definitely legit, in my option! I guess it all relied to the lack on understanding of what autism is about, and how uninformed individuals could make certain judgements that might dramatically impact your life. I do wear headphones ALL THE TIME, in workspace, public transportation and even when I am waking in a noisy area, I believe I can navigate workspaces while keeping my headphones on, without the need to provide a diagnosis of autism to my employers. As you mentioned, I fear the same, I would prefer to keep this information to myself in the work context. 

Children
No Data