Stims/tics

Does suppressing stims cause tics?

Parents
  • Yes potentially, I used to tic in school. We need to express ourselves in some way so if we can’t stim for whatever reason then tics are an involuntary way of showing our emotions.

• Thinking about this now I’m actually quite annoyed with my teachers. Rather than try to understand and help they chose to scold and humiliate. I really hope teachers are more aware now.

• I am so sorry you had that experience, as you are obviously aware teachers and other staff can be bullies too.

I really hope teachers are more aware now.

I hope so too, there are brilliant charities such as Tourette’s Action that deliver training to schools about acceptance of tics. Many neurodivergent people not just those with Tourette’s experience tics.

What kind of tics did you experience apart from the throat clearing?

• I think the social pressure to stifle these probably peaked around age 10 or 11 and I learned ways to suppress them most of the time.

Yes I understand that, but in my experience suppressing tics can lead to a tic attack.

I was very good academically at school but forcing me to sit still for hours just resulted in an explosion of weird behaviours and uncontrolled energy.

It obviously was not natural for you to sit still for long periods of time then.

I had lots of motor and vocal tics usually relating to the neck or head and sometimes I would randomly shout the word ‘hey’, which was sometimes quite funny because the last thing I wanted to do was to attract attention!

• I would jerk my neck. Sort of twist it I suppose. And I would look behind myself quite obsessively. I had to check what was there even though I only looked 20 seconds ago.

I think the social pressure to stifle these probably peaked around age 10 or 11 and I learned ways to suppress them most of the time.

I was very good academically at school but forcing me to sit still for hours just resulted in an explosion of weird behaviours and uncontrolled energy.

What tics did you have?

• I would jerk my neck. Sort of twist it I suppose. And I would look behind myself quite obsessively. I had to check what was there even though I only looked 20 seconds ago.

I think the social pressure to stifle these probably peaked around age 10 or 11 and I learned ways to suppress them most of the time.

What tics did you have?

Children
  • I think the social pressure to stifle these probably peaked around age 10 or 11 and I learned ways to suppress them most of the time.

Yes I understand that, but in my experience suppressing tics can lead to a tic attack.

It obviously was not natural for you to sit still for long periods of time then.

I had lots of motor and vocal tics usually relating to the neck or head and sometimes I would randomly shout the word ‘hey’, which was sometimes quite funny because the last thing I wanted to do was to attract attention!