Holidays

Being autistic means it’s virtually impossible for me to relax, but I still love going on holiday. I can’t take a break from my own brain, though I can at least enjoy being somewhere beautiful and trying new things (who said autistic people don’t like change?) In my latest Autistic Not Alien video, I reflect on past holidays and how being autistic has shaped my appreciation of places and people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw4e16sK7wE

What do you most enjoy about holidays from an autistic perspective?

Parents
  • I can’t take a break from my own brain

What have you tried to calm your mind?

Mindfulness, meditation, drugs?

I enjoy being "normal" as much as possible on holiday - taking a break from the routines and constraints I tend to put on myself at home.

My autism tends to spoil aspects through making me over-plan, worry about what may go wrong, getting overloaded from too much new stimuli, losing my routine and comfort zones and lastly the unfamiliarity of a hotel bed and bathroom.

• I can’t take a break from my own brain

What have you tried to calm your mind?

Mindfulness, meditation, drugs?

I enjoy being "normal" as much as possible on holiday - taking a break from the routines and constraints I tend to put on myself at home.

My autism tends to spoil aspects through making me over-plan, worry about what may go wrong, getting overloaded from too much new stimuli, losing my routine and comfort zones and lastly the unfamiliarity of a hotel bed and bathroom.

Children