Funerals

Grandad has passed away should an 8 year old autistic child go to the funeral? Hos do you explain a cremation?

Parents
  • I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer to this question. It’s all about what you feel is best for the child. I lost my grandfather at the same age but my mum didn’t take me to the funeral as she felt it would be too overwhelming. She has said that with hindsight she might have made a different decision, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it was the wrong decision. I was hit very hard by the death of my grandfather and my mum ended up getting me a child counsellor. Would it have helped me to process my grief had I attended the funeral? It’s impossible to say, it might have but then it also might have been more than I could handle at that age. Every child is different and that’s without taking into account complicating factors like autism. 

Just do what you think is best for the child. I’m sorry for your loss. 

• I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer to this question. It’s all about what you feel is best for the child. I lost my grandfather at the same age but my mum didn’t take me to the funeral as she felt it would be too overwhelming. She has said that with hindsight she might have made a different decision, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it was the wrong decision. I was hit very hard by the death of my grandfather and my mum ended up getting me a child counsellor. Would it have helped me to process my grief had I attended the funeral? It’s impossible to say, it might have but then it also might have been more than I could handle at that age. Every child is different and that’s without taking into account complicating factors like autism. 

Just do what you think is best for the child. I’m sorry for your loss. 

Children
No Data