Sheldon Cooper

TBBT shows Sheldon, who is obviously autistic in a way where those around him don't like his annoying ways and often complain about them but they ultimately accept him. Those who watch find him funny but can accept "that's just so Sheldon." 

Why can't the real world accept autistic people like that? Why is everyone constantly trying to correct and make us more "normal" Why can't the real world just let us be ourselves?

Ever since my diagnosis my family have complained that I am acting more autistic.  Rather than accept that, they are giving the person they have lost. I seem to have lost who I am as no one seems to like my real self.  Why can't TV shows reflect this reality?

Parents
  • The thing is aside from his close circle of friends nobody does tolerate Sheldon Cooper. At least socially. He also seems to have leverage on a lot of his friends. Leonard is his tenant as he seems to sublet a room to him. also he saved Leonard’s life which makes him feel emotionally indebted to him.

Initially all of his friends are scientists who recognise his exceptional talent and who at various points in their careers have benefited from collaborating with him. Also with the exception of Leonard they  do not seem to have particularly good social skills themselves.

penny for her part initially seems to tolerate Sheldon For Leonard’s sake and for the sake of the other members of the group and also because she enjoys freeloading off him.

there’s a big distinction between what is entertaining to watch and what’s entertaining to live with. most people find gunbattles entertaining to watch on TV but wouldn’t want to live in a city where people regularly break out the AK-47s to shoot their neighbours.

if you were to follow The Big Bang Theory‘s pattern of social interaction the key would be:

* hang out with people who have social difficulties.

* find ways to make people emotionally or financially beholden to you.

* offer people inducements and perks for spending time in your company.

• As it happens, I gave precisely that approach a while in my twenties!

Reply Children
No Data