University

Now that I know that I’m autistic, I understand why I loved university so much and why I think about it so often. I had almost complete freedom, which for me often meant wandering around Cambridge on my own and occasionally *thinking* about studying. University was an escape when I needed it most. It was a self-contained universe, full of opportunities (if I could be bothered to take them). It was a world away from work and responsibilities and the general grind of life that we’re expected to tolerate. And I met my favourite people there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HrMJc1NBB0

[removed by moderator]

Parents
  • I found university very traumatic. I’m a naturally academic person but I just couldn’t fit in. I made no friends, went to every lecture and tutorial alone, ate my lunch alone, barely spoke to another human each day.

It was a horrendous experience.

Chris Packham has said university was the same for him.

• I found university very traumatic. I’m a naturally academic person but I just couldn’t fit in. I made no friends, went to every lecture and tutorial alone, ate my lunch alone, barely spoke to another human each day.

It was a horrendous experience.

Chris Packham has said university was the same for him.

Children
  • I'm sorry to hear this. I was extremely lucky to meet two people who have remained friends for life. Without them, I would have really struggled. As I said in the video, there were times when I felt horribly alone. I was very mindful when making the video that university can be a negative experience (for autists and neurotypicals), which is why I didn't claim to speak on behalf of anyone else when describing my own experiences.