If diagnosed, do you regret it?

I was talking to someone the other day as they haven't sought after a diagnosis for ASD as they didn't want to regret it later (as they thought an official diagnosis could limit their opportunities after university), and it got me thinking. I did not consider any of the potential issues after getting an official diagnosis, I just wanted some answers. Unlike them, I have had various mental health issues, and I've tried therapy many times to no avail. Obviously some mental health issues can be co-morbid of ASD and with how I am socially it should have been investigated when I was much younger. It wasn't until I was in my early 20's, fed up of wondering why therapy didn't seem to work for me but wanted to be "normal" I started to consider that I may be autistic. So I went after a diagnosis, which has allowed me to give up notion that one day I can be "normal" if I try hard enough, and I am okay with being different now (after getting over post diagnosis grief). So for me the diagnosis was worth potentially limiting my opportunities (even though I'm 99% sure it won't as my interests and ambitions are not effected as far as I know).

I was wondering what everyone else's experiences or opinions on the matter are?

• No not at all. There’s nothing to regret at all. Do I regret making a decision that changed my life for the better and improved my quality of life? Not in the slightest. 

• I Don’t think being diagnosed has helped it just becomes a word autism, dont regret it but better support is needed kind regards 

• Nope. Solved a lot of mysteries for me.

• I would rather have the truth than live in the dark. I'd say I was fortunate enough to have been statemented at an early stage of life, that way I knew of the challenges that awaited me as time went on.

My biggest drawback is that I didn't have any good mentorship to help me see my truest potential. My father abandoned me at the tender age of nine, and my step-father was quite a bullish character who was typically drunk. He couldn't handle me, and as such would spend a lot more of his time ridiculing myself, saying how stupid I was and that I wouldn't amount to anything. And for a long time, I believed him.

It was only until after he died did I begin to realise who I was and what kind of a person I am, and to that extent I am always grateful I was told who I was and what I could be capable of. Without that diagnosis, I probably wouldn't be the man I am today

• I have been sectioned under the mental health act and diagnosed as a schizophrenic by a psychiatrist during that episode. During family court proceedings I was diagnosed by a qualified psychologist as a narcissist. During separate family court proceedings I was diagnosed with ADHD. I have been diagnosed with major depression by a GP. 

nobody I don't want to know needs to know.

I am glad for these diagnosis' because ultimately they have helped me discover the secret to enlightenment and lasting inner peace.

• No, no regrets. Being diagnosed was overwhelmingly positive for me. As there is no requirement to disclose a diagnosis to anyone, I don't see how it can act as a limit on future prospects. Obviously being autistic can, and sometimes does, impose limitations, but a diagnosis? No.

• Nope I don't regret it at all.

Before I was getting denied MH care because I 'might' be autistic. Now I can tell them that I am autistic but they still have to treat me.

I now get support at uni, can get support at medical appointments. Can ask for support at airports and trainstations whithout feeling like a fraud. 

The only future activity I'm actively restricted from is the armed forces, which I don't care about, and they'd still stretch that if in a more technical development role. 

It's changed my understanding of myself by a lot and others understanding of me and opened many doors in terms of managing life better and given me a framework around which to work. 

No regrets, despite the 2.5 year wait.