Self service tills.

I love self service tills in shops.  They are much more hygienic than manned tills.  The only unhygienic part is pressing the button asking how I'm making the payment and if I want a receipt.

On manned tills the operator touches every item of food I buy and on a recent visit I saw an operator sneeze all over herself and her hands and food items.

Now some shops are going into reverse, Booths are ripping out their self service tills, and my local branch of Iceland has gone back to manned tills only.

All opinions are welcome.

Parents
  • At age 53, I used to work in Tesco for 17 years and we had 13 of these ghastly self-service tills in my last store - just like in my teens in the 1980’s  and when these new tills first came in, I’d embraced them when they were first imposed on us, but then as always, as with all scientific and technological advances which are always good in theory, but never in practice, the problems with them came up thick and fast - call me old school, but at my age, I’m totally opposed to them as they are soulless pieces of tech that almost totally cuts out all human interactions, puts people out of jobs and has endless problems with them - my local store has them and with every single item, time and again, there is always a problem that always needs assistance, so really what is the point of them, as most people I chat to in the store hate them, despite the store trying to force people to use them and cutting back on normal tills and frankly, I for one simply refuse to use them anymore even with assistance as I highly value human interaction and most of the staff feel the same way, especially those my age - I’m quite surprised that Aldi is using these tills now, which is quite worrying - in the next few years, Amazon is planning to take over supermarket retailing like what they have done in China, California and elsewhere, using digital trollies/baskets and other crazy forms of tech that don’t involve going to a till to checkout and pay for goods, but I do agree that people should have the option not to use them 

• At age 53, I used to work in Tesco for 17 years and we had 13 of these ghastly self-service tills in my last store - just like in my teens in the 1980’s  and when these new tills first came in, I’d embraced them when they were first imposed on us, but then as always, as with all scientific and technological advances which are always good in theory, but never in practice, the problems with them came up thick and fast - call me old school, but at my age, I’m totally opposed to them as they are soulless pieces of tech that almost totally cuts out all human interactions, puts people out of jobs and has endless problems with them - my local store has them and with every single item, time and again, there is always a problem that always needs assistance, so really what is the point of them, as most people I chat to in the store hate them, despite the store trying to force people to use them and cutting back on normal tills and frankly, I for one simply refuse to use them anymore even with assistance as I highly value human interaction and most of the staff feel the same way, especially those my age - I’m quite surprised that Aldi is using these tills now, which is quite worrying - in the next few years, Amazon is planning to take over supermarket retailing like what they have done in China, California and elsewhere, using digital trollies/baskets and other crazy forms of tech that don’t involve going to a till to checkout and pay for goods, but I do agree that people should have the option not to use them 

Children