Published on 12, July, 2020
This is probably my least fave part of Christmas the buying presents.
I never know what to buy people. The presents I normally buy end up forgotten about or thrown away later on the next year, I think people think I forgot I bought it but I don't I always remember. The only person who keeps what I buy is my father. I normally get him records and he seems to really appreciate it.
Everyone else gets rid so I guess I don't buy what they like.
This year at school we've got secret Santa again! Well early as usual but I appreciate the earlyness as I don't have any idea what I'll be getting for Talis (girl in my class) I know nothing about her and what she likes. We sit together in some classes but I still don't know about her.
I hate present buying. The whole idea makes me anxious and I've not got any of my family a single present yet either.
Well, usually I buy presents for Christmas way ahead - mainly because I want to do it all online so I don't have to... shop in person
I hate that. I'm late this year, just too busy trying to adjust…
Yep I hate buying presents too, as well as receiving them. I have 3 teens, a 6yo and 6 adults to give presents to. I've decided to make them fidget toys and phone stands, using scrap wood and a Dremel…
Bzzz! Hello from one hive to another lol.My easy solution for hard-to-buy-for people is take the budget you'd alot to spending on them, withdraw it from an ATM, put it in a xmas card, and give it to them…
I really love buying presents for people- I miss that I don’t get to do it much anymore since I moved out from home (tight budget and not many people to give things to). Here are some tips/ how I go about it
- think about what you know about the person you are getting a present for - what do they enjoy doing, what do they need, what are their hobbies.
- useful presents are often really nice- I got my mum a really good toaster 2 years ago actually as she loves toasted bread (and her toaster was very old). Or if they love drinking tea, why not get a mug and some nice tea? Or hot chocolate? I also got my mum a fun pizza cutter - not essential but she loves pizza and didn’t have one. Or a fun cooking kit if they like cooking.
- you could get something related to their hobbies- though I would be careful as if they are very into a hobby they might already have it or prefer to pick it themselves (for example my stepfather is crazy about old cars and the miniature car models, books on cars etc.), i wouldn't risk getting a car related gift unless i was sure he didn’t have it yet and wanted it. But if someone loves hiking, you could get them a gift voucher at an outdoor store.
- or if you are very unsure an amazon gift voucher is safe.
- food- if you know what they like this could be a good gift. Some nice chocolates or it doesn’t have to be sweet. Could get them an assortment of fancier food they would not spend on usually. Or a meal out at their favourite restaurant? Or you could bake or make a food gift yourself like some cookies. and if you can combine some of the things they like into 1 even better- i have a friend who loves penguins and chocolate and i managed to find penguin shaped chocolates for her. I also sometimes like to write up a recipe as part of a gift and then include something that is needed ( like a cookie cutter and spekulatius spice together wih the recipe ) - if they like gardening, seeds or a plant could be nice.
— of course books or board games or puzzles are options but only if you know that they would enjoy these and feel confident picking.
there are so many options so it can be hard to choose but personally I try to match gifts to their interests - if i can I go for gifts i know they will use and i also tend to pick things that appeal to me as well. It can be a lot of fun !!
These are all really useful ideas thanks so much
I think this is my biggest problem with buying presents.....there is literally so much to consider...
Will she want this? Would she use it? What if she hates it? What if she gets bored? Is she interested in this sort of thing?
It's a weird one because we spend a lot of time together but I literally don't know anything about her and she doesn't know me either. I don't know who my secret Santa is but for sure he or she will have no idea what to get!
Thank you for your helpful list of suggestions though this is useful and I've copy and pasted it in to my notes