Happy Thursday

Hope you are having a good daySlight smile

Parents
  • Hello Elvis, I hope you're having a good day Slight smile

My microwave has stopped working, so my day has been taken up with trying to solve the problem of getting a new one. 

I have discovered that microwaves are out of fashion, everyone seems to be using air fryers, although they are not a direct substitute for a microwave.

Heating up my coffee when I occasionally forget to drink it will be a problem!

I still haven't solved the problem. I will buy one online of course, but I resist Amazon because I consider them an Evil Empire... 

And then there will be the problem of how to select a new microwave, since the one I have that no longer works is no longer made...

I don't know whether any of this means I'm having a good, or bad day.

But it is the day I'm having.

Slight smile

• I got one of those coffee warming pad thingies  (technical term) -  you put your coffee mug on it, and it keeps it hot, all day if necessary.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=coffee+warmer&crid=1KVKP8W2LAV88&sprefix=coffee+warm%2Caps%2C4139&ref=nb_sb_noss_2     Other retailers are available if you don't want to use Amazon, but their web page shows some of those available.

I use a hot air fryer and it is brilliant if you like fish and chips, chicken and chips, or for heating up ready made lasagne or meat pies. I also buy "half-baked" bread rolls and croissants, which take about ten minutes to bake.

My other kitchen favourite is a slow cooker.  I like stews. Usually, I put everything in a saucepan and simmer for about ten minutes then put it in the slow cooker for a few hours. I am dribbling on my keyboard at the thought of venison with mushrooms, peppers, onions, aubergines, courgettes, and kidney beans ...  But almost any leftovers from the fridge with a selection from my drawer of about fifty herbs and spices and a bit of Marmite will make a stew. 

Has anybody else tried beetroot and horseradish dumplings?  Yes, I know I am weird.

• Thanks Ian - all really interesting! The coffee warmer may be a solution for me, because I can't make my mind up about a new microwave - decisions about new things take me so long...

I like the idea that the coffee warmer does a specific thing, which is the main thing I need. 

I have researched air fryers, as the idea of them appeals to me and my convection oven makes an annoying sound when swtiched on. Are air fryers noisy? Perhaps you know. 

I used to have a slow cooker, but not for ages. They are very good. 

• Noooo! Astonished

Maybe just the soft close... 

• That’s how it starts, Pegg, first the soft close, the coffee-warmer, next thing you own a franchise..!Cold sweat

• Hi Pegg.  Noise is relative ... if you are sensitive to noise you might want to leave the room or put on ear defenders. Mine is about the same as the microwave.

Reply Children
No Data