Preferred fonts for autism

Hi everyone, I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts and opinions on fonts preferred for those on the autism spectrum. A lot of people relay that Comic Sans is a preference. However, I don’t like comic sans. It has been used for 20 years in schools and for adults and I want to know what autistic individuals in the community think about comic sans. And explanations why it is perceived that comic sans font is preferable to let’s say arial or times Roman. I notice the Autistic Society website does not use comic sans. Which I’m glad about. Any thoughts, feeling and expressions welcome. Thanks everybody. 

Parents
  • If I'm composing e-mails or letters, I tend to use a sans-serif font called called 'Calibri', but sometimes I like to experiment with trying out different fonts, particularly if sending personal e-mails and letters.

What I've found is that some fonts seem better suited to smaller font sizes, whilst others (particularly calligraphy and script fonts) are more suited to larger font sizes. Some fonts seem to look better on screen, whilst others look better printed. This is just my personal opinion.

Out of the fonts you mentioned, the one I am least likely to use is Times New Roman. I find Comic Sans to be a rather likable informal-looking font, but that's just me.

• Thank you Sparkly for this brilliant answer. It’s so explanatory and illustrative. I like fonts that are old and look artistic and pointy. You’re so right that personality is very important how we individually respond and experience words and fonts. 

• Thank you Sparkly for this brilliant answer. It’s so explanatory and illustrative. I like fonts that are old and look artistic and pointy. You’re so right that personality is very important how we individually respond and experience words and fonts. 

Children
No Data