feeling pain

I have unbearable tummy pains with having IBS and gallstone pain and then there's the good old faithful pain of arthritis and not forgetting the ever faithful fibromyalgia pain. I'm just wondering how do people with ADHD and Autism feel pain. I've heard that people are more sensitive to pain if they have ADHD and  Autism. I'm just wondering if this is why i am in so much pain with having ADHD and Autisms and i can also tolerate a lot of pain as well. I've learnt to block pain out when i can and when i'm unable to for whatever reason the pain is intolerable. It drives me to wanting to take drugs to escape it all or take myself back home. Or self medicate buying medications of the net. It makes my depression and anxiety much worse as well going through unbearable pain.

• I'm sorry to hear how much pain you are in, but I can relate. I feel intense pain when others do not and at other times none when folk think I should writhing with it. I find it very difficult to describe pain.

• Hi, I'm sorry you're in so much pain and that it's affecting your quality of life so badly. I'm glad you reached out for help rather than continuing to suffer silently.

I totally understand severe pain because I have IBS, fibromyalgia, a load of arthritic diseases (including osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis), connective tissue disease, EDS/hypermobility, spinal and nerve diseases and more. I have constant pain of different types: dull aches, throbbing pain, sharp pain, burning pain. I have been formally diagnosed with Chronic Widespread Musculoskeletal Pain. 

I would suggest getting help as soon as possible for the pain by seeing or speaking over the phone with your GP and/or any relevant consultant you see because you are suffering terribly. Many hospitals have dedicated Pain Clinics to do a proper assessment and treatment plan (I went to one). Of course there may be a waiting time to be seen in a pain clinic, so ask your GP or consultant to provide help straightaway.

The doctor needs to know where your pains are, what types of pain you have, when pains are worse or better (what times of the day), if pain affects your sleep, etc. He or she can prescribe pain relief medication and/or medication for anxiety (muscular pain can sometimes be helped with a muscle relaxant) if these are appropriate, or  give you other advice - like using heat or cold to help with some pain. [Also, sleep, rest and pacing yourself can help. When I'm over-tired or anxious, my pain feels worse.]

I can't recommend my medications because you need to be assessed for the correct prescription(s) for you. Please don't self-medicate with drugs and/or alcohol. They're not appropriate for pain relief - people "feel better" only because they are under the pleasurable effects of being on drugs or alcohol. They don't work medically on pain and the rebound effect of feeling pain again after the effects wear off is bad since it can also create withdrawal symptoms. Therefore, it is easy then to become addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, which will create more problems on top of the original pain you have. I'm not being judgemental about drug use - I'm a trained drug addiction researcher so I want to make you aware of the issues of drug/alcohol use to deal with pain.

So please see a doctor to get a proper assessment and help as soon as possible. I truly hope you get help and successful pain relief. Please feel free to respond to me if you have any further questions or you need help to present your need for pain relief to your doctor. Please take care.