Being A Teacher

Can Autistic people be school teachers? I have been struggling with the sensory processing in the classroom, along with just being an unprepared teacher (due to never teaching before, nor having any teaching training). I am trying to consider if this is something to pursue or not. I know the first year is tough for every teacher even the neurotypical. SO how much am I overreacting to being burn out and just becoming numb inside. Thank you

Parents
  • I have taught for over 20 years. I taught some extra-curricular classes before that, but it was getting the Tesol certificate, along with having a first degree, that changed my life at midlife.

I've been to companies and taught Business English, but also worked at at schools, and am working at one at the moment. The children are all very aware of such things as dyslexia, dyspraxia and autism, were so at the last school I worked at, from 2013-2017. Two girls I teach have had the Diagnosis, for me they are great to teach, as they are also the most hard-working, and actually ask me things if they don't understand something. Each has rows upon rows of top marks. 

Whether not you can do it, teach, probably depends on what your sensitivities are, sometimes the things to watch are office politics in the staffroom. One thing I found really difficult when I first came especially, was that everyone spoke English with me because I wasn't expected to know the language - for some reason I found this hugely embarrassing  and it left me feeling really exposed. I tell people know that needing someone to interpret every little thing for me, like 'she needs to go to the toilet' can leave you feeling like two years old, that is something that can be understood. This year, the complicated marking system really confused me, and some classes used this to call my marks into question - often, the laziest ones, Interestingly, or the ones who are jumping off the walls and can't keep still. 

One class once quipped when miming activities to elicit vocabulary shouted out 'autistic,' but whether or not that was about their anxieties or they really think I am, I'm not sure. My foreign-ness is already something that seems to fascinate a lot of kids from other classes, and I get a lot of daft questions and laborious English greetings. 

• I have taught for over 20 years. I taught some extra-curricular classes before that, but it was getting the Tesol certificate, along with having a first degree, that changed my life at midlife.

I've been to companies and taught Business English, but also worked at at schools, and am working at one at the moment. The children are all very aware of such things as dyslexia, dyspraxia and autism, were so at the last school I worked at, from 2013-2017. Two girls I teach have had the Diagnosis, for me they are great to teach, as they are also the most hard-working, and actually ask me things if they don't understand something. Each has rows upon rows of top marks. 

Whether not you can do it, teach, probably depends on what your sensitivities are, sometimes the things to watch are office politics in the staffroom. One thing I found really difficult when I first came especially, was that everyone spoke English with me because I wasn't expected to know the language - for some reason I found this hugely embarrassing  and it left me feeling really exposed. I tell people know that needing someone to interpret every little thing for me, like 'she needs to go to the toilet' can leave you feeling like two years old, that is something that can be understood. This year, the complicated marking system really confused me, and some classes used this to call my marks into question - often, the laziest ones, Interestingly, or the ones who are jumping off the walls and can't keep still. 

One class once quipped when miming activities to elicit vocabulary shouted out 'autistic,' but whether or not that was about their anxieties or they really think I am, I'm not sure. My foreign-ness is already something that seems to fascinate a lot of kids from other classes, and I get a lot of daft questions and laborious English greetings. 

Children
No Data