Being A Teacher

Can Autistic people be school teachers? I have been struggling with the sensory processing in the classroom, along with just being an unprepared teacher (due to never teaching before, nor having any teaching training). I am trying to consider if this is something to pursue or not. I know the first year is tough for every teacher even the neurotypical. SO how much am I overreacting to being burn out and just becoming numb inside. Thank you

Parents
  • I think it depends what sort of teaching you are doing and how much is expected of you in your role. I have been working in teaching for 10 years, however I have always been a Cover Supervisor or Cover Teacher as I cant cope with the planning, marking and paperwork required of "full" teachers. I tried being a full teacher at the start of this year in a role an agency put me in and I broke down within 2 weeks and had to quit. 

As other people on here have said, it also depends on the age group you teach. It might be worth experimenting with different age groups to see what you find easiest. 

The most important thing I would say is that you are not overreacting to being burned out and numb. The most important thing you can do is listen to what your gut instinct is telling you and what you know is best for you to look after yourself

So in answer to your question I would say yes autistic people definetly can be teachers but you shouldnt force yourself to do something thats burning you out just cos you feel like you should do it 

• I think it depends what sort of teaching you are doing and how much is expected of you in your role. I have been working in teaching for 10 years, however I have always been a Cover Supervisor or Cover Teacher as I cant cope with the planning, marking and paperwork required of "full" teachers. I tried being a full teacher at the start of this year in a role an agency put me in and I broke down within 2 weeks and had to quit. 

As other people on here have said, it also depends on the age group you teach. It might be worth experimenting with different age groups to see what you find easiest. 

The most important thing I would say is that you are not overreacting to being burned out and numb. The most important thing you can do is listen to what your gut instinct is telling you and what you know is best for you to look after yourself

So in answer to your question I would say yes autistic people definetly can be teachers but you shouldnt force yourself to do something thats burning you out just cos you feel like you should do it 

Children