Being A Teacher

Can Autistic people be school teachers? I have been struggling with the sensory processing in the classroom, along with just being an unprepared teacher (due to never teaching before, nor having any teaching training). I am trying to consider if this is something to pursue or not. I know the first year is tough for every teacher even the neurotypical. SO how much am I overreacting to being burn out and just becoming numb inside. Thank you

Parents
  • Hi Elizabeth,

I've recently been diagnosed with ASD and ADHD, yet I've been teaching English as a Foreign Language in the UK and abroad for over 10 years. To be honest, I now understand why a lot of things have caused me stress, like a heavy timetable. On the other hand, I've realised that I'm comfortable in the classroom because I can "act'. You might want to consider teaching older students because I find children too much. I now work at a uni, so they're all over 18 and often over 21. The timetabling suits me better, plus I work from home a lot. If you've got any questions, just ask Slight smile

• Hi Elizabeth,

I've recently been diagnosed with ASD and ADHD, yet I've been teaching English as a Foreign Language in the UK and abroad for over 10 years. To be honest, I now understand why a lot of things have caused me stress, like a heavy timetable. On the other hand, I've realised that I'm comfortable in the classroom because I can "act'. You might want to consider teaching older students because I find children too much. I now work at a uni, so they're all over 18 and often over 21. The timetabling suits me better, plus I work from home a lot. If you've got any questions, just ask Slight smile

Children
No Data