"Autism friendly cinemas"

hi everyone, i'm a student with aspergers, i noticed that my local cinema in Paignton,Devon "the apollo" does special Autism friendly film screenings of films, for these they offer

• brighter but softer lighting during the film
  • more spacing between seats
  • no pre film adverts
  • lowered surrond sound volume

personally, i'm not so heavily affected by my aspergers that i require this, but it does sound like a useful thing. just thought i'd post about this here to pick peoples brains about what they think of this service and similar ones provided elsewhere

Parents
  • IntenseWorld said:

We have a local cinema that does autism-friendly screenings for children.  We would find it a nightmare though as what they call autism-friendly means allowing the children to get up out of their seats and pretty much do their own thing.

It's like this where I am. Too many noises are a distraction and depending on the outcome of these many noises, sends me into shutdown.

All 3 of us need concentration on the film and hate distraction.  I hate the rustling of popcorn etc. too, people coughing, peoples' children talking and crying it drives me mad.  I also hate it if anyone sits in front of me as I find their head silhouette too much of a distraction from the film.

Same. I once had the pleasure of having to hear someone talk nearly all the way through a film. They were somewhere at the back and I was near the front. If you want to talk, just go outside and don't ruin it for the rest of us.

At one of the cinemas I sometimes go to, you have an allocated seat. I once had one in the same row as a number of a young children. (it was a childrens film I went to see) I couldn't sit there because there were too many people around me.

I can't understand why cinemas do Autism friendly cinemas when we're all different. Other disabilities, I can understand; because there's not such a huge spectrum. (generally)

• IntenseWorld said:

We have a local cinema that does autism-friendly screenings for children.  We would find it a nightmare though as what they call autism-friendly means allowing the children to get up out of their seats and pretty much do their own thing.

It's like this where I am. Too many noises are a distraction and depending on the outcome of these many noises, sends me into shutdown.

All 3 of us need concentration on the film and hate distraction.  I hate the rustling of popcorn etc. too, people coughing, peoples' children talking and crying it drives me mad.  I also hate it if anyone sits in front of me as I find their head silhouette too much of a distraction from the film.

Same. I once had the pleasure of having to hear someone talk nearly all the way through a film. They were somewhere at the back and I was near the front. If you want to talk, just go outside and don't ruin it for the rest of us.

At one of the cinemas I sometimes go to, you have an allocated seat. I once had one in the same row as a number of a young children. (it was a childrens film I went to see) I couldn't sit there because there were too many people around me.

I can't understand why cinemas do Autism friendly cinemas when we're all different. Other disabilities, I can understand; because there's not such a huge spectrum. (generally)

Children
No Data