"Autism friendly cinemas"

hi everyone, i'm a student with aspergers, i noticed that my local cinema in Paignton,Devon "the apollo" does special Autism friendly film screenings of films, for these they offer

• brighter but softer lighting during the film
  • more spacing between seats
  • no pre film adverts
  • lowered surrond sound volume

personally, i'm not so heavily affected by my aspergers that i require this, but it does sound like a useful thing. just thought i'd post about this here to pick peoples brains about what they think of this service and similar ones provided elsewhere

Parents
  • I think the volume in cinemas must be influenced by the staff running them.

I remember years ago looking at hi-fi in Tottenham Court Road in London, and asking for a demonstration in several shops to find the demo set incredibly loud, at which I couldn't really judge sound quality. I also remember the rather mocking and patronising response of the salesman showing me the system, as if I was out of touch with what was "cool" or "hip" to them. You must know the slogan "If it's too loud you're too old".

However I found out afterwards there is a recognised syndrome associated with big hi fi retail areas such as Tottenham Court was then, of premature deafness across a large part of the hearing range in young people recruited as salesmen. They effectively burned out before they were thirty, but then there were always more young recruits to take their place.

Which leaves me wondering if the staff in cinemas have progressive hearing sensitivity loss and it actually has to be that loud for them to think it is OK.

Or else its just me and I'm too old.

• I think the volume in cinemas must be influenced by the staff running them.

I remember years ago looking at hi-fi in Tottenham Court Road in London, and asking for a demonstration in several shops to find the demo set incredibly loud, at which I couldn't really judge sound quality. I also remember the rather mocking and patronising response of the salesman showing me the system, as if I was out of touch with what was "cool" or "hip" to them. You must know the slogan "If it's too loud you're too old".

However I found out afterwards there is a recognised syndrome associated with big hi fi retail areas such as Tottenham Court was then, of premature deafness across a large part of the hearing range in young people recruited as salesmen. They effectively burned out before they were thirty, but then there were always more young recruits to take their place.

Which leaves me wondering if the staff in cinemas have progressive hearing sensitivity loss and it actually has to be that loud for them to think it is OK.

Or else its just me and I'm too old.

Children
No Data