Hi I am a mum and my adult son has aspergers

Hi I am new to this site and would welcome your comments and help. My son was finally diagnosed with aspergers at 21 after a lifelong battle with our GP who refused to acknowledge his differences and labelled me an over protective mother not willing to accept that he was just badly behaved. I won't bore you with the tedious details of the lengthy battle to diagnosis, I am sure this is familiar to many of you. 

The diagnosis was a huge relief to us as parents, and his sister as we always knew that he was special.  For the last three years we have researched, read everything we could, and tried to put in place the best support possible to help him live an independant life.  We have had some success, he is well capable of holding down his job as a carer, but periodically, he will crash and burn.  Usually something will trigger him to believe he is useless, and he will walk away. It is tough to try and always understand and accept some of the situations he gets himself in to. Continuous bad debt pay day loans phone contracts, we have paid off thousands over the years. And yes I know we should let them fail, so he learns.  There is an account currently that he is being pursued for that we are not going to settle. A bad credit rating would be a godsend to put an end to them.

our main problem is whilst we try so hard to understand him, he doesn't understand himself, and doesn't accept that he has aspergers, he may say he does to placate me but he doesn't really.  He was deeply hurt when I pursued the diagnosis as he said I was trying to get him declared 'mental'.  How does one accept having aspergers, does it help to know and try and understand it? How can I persuade him to talk to others and share his feelings? Would it help if he had a mentor or someone outside of the family he could talk to? We love him dearly and want him to be secure in his adult life, and to recognise his many positive characteristics.  He is funny, loyal to his friends, clever in ways he does not recognise, different and individual, and much loved by his family and friends.  We would like him to go back to our GP (thankfully a new one who has been great) for an updated assessment, but I am scared to broach the subject in case he feels I am again trying to label him as mental.  Apologies for length of this post but it is so good to be able to put all my thoughts on paper.  I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for reading this.

Parents
  • Thank you so much for your excellent reply.  I have read the document you kindly attached and it will use the information there.  The man in question has been fully diagnosed and informed.  However, he refuses to accept any of this and will not allow any assistance to be given to him.  We are told that until he will co-operate with the professionals there is nothing more they can do and neither can we.  I met with him yesterday, however, and was happy to see an improvement in him and he wanted to discuss the ways in which he can interact with others.  This suggests to me that he is beginning to accept that he has problems.  I dearly hope so because I believe this is an important step forward.  Hopefully we can build on this.  I really do appreciate all he help and advice I have received so far.  I believe we can do much more in time.

Kindest,  Isla

• Thank you so much for your excellent reply.  I have read the document you kindly attached and it will use the information there.  The man in question has been fully diagnosed and informed.  However, he refuses to accept any of this and will not allow any assistance to be given to him.  We are told that until he will co-operate with the professionals there is nothing more they can do and neither can we.  I met with him yesterday, however, and was happy to see an improvement in him and he wanted to discuss the ways in which he can interact with others.  This suggests to me that he is beginning to accept that he has problems.  I dearly hope so because I believe this is an important step forward.  Hopefully we can build on this.  I really do appreciate all he help and advice I have received so far.  I believe we can do much more in time.

Kindest,  Isla

Children
No Data