Are Jaffa Cakes, Cakes or biscuits? This is the question of the century!

If Jaffa cakes are cakes then why do they sell them in the biscuit aisle and not the cake aisle?  

That is so annoying and and enigma. 

Also if tomatoes are a fruit why do they get placed among the veg aisle in a shop? 

The world is a crazy place. 

NTS rule that world. hmmmmm

Parents
  • I've never understood the appeal of Jaffa Cakes, although my son loves them. It is indeed an excellent question you have asked. One that plenty have people have pondered, as it seems nobody can quite decide what category they fall into. 

As for tomatoes being a fruit, but being placed in the vegetable section, perhaps it's because the prospect of eating tomatoes with other fruit doesn't really appeal to folk. Apple & Tomato Strudel? Um, no thanks! In much the same way that I wouldn't want to eat a Fruit Trifle that contained tomatoes. Ooh yuck!

There is obviously a reason why tomatoes are considered a fruit and not a vegetable, and I daresay an explanation can be found on the interweb. I wouldn't be at all surprised if an explanation of why tomatoes are a fruit has cropped up in an episode of Q.I.

• There *must* be a gap in the market for tomato Jaffa Cakes. 

• No, there definitely isn't. If there ever is, I'll start a petition to ban them. Wink

• I was referring to the Tudor Queen, Queen! I *know* you're currently thinking 'Can't get the staff these days' but I'm resigning even as you think it!

*flounces*

• I know. I'm such a spoilsport. I've not had one of those for years (referring to the B. Mary drink with Worcestershire Sauce).

Reply Children