Food choices

Are you able to eat anything now that you couldn’t as a child?

I didn’t think I had any food issues until I realised I was Autistic in 2019, and subsequently went through my existence with a fine toothed comb.

My sensory issues don’t stop me eating anything specific as such. It’s more of the case I avoid certain things, and I can, because I cook for myself as my children have flown the nest. I had a little think just now, and I still avoid the things I did as a child. Do you? 

Parents
  • I love food and have always considered myself to eat anything. However I realise that I LEARNED to eat so many things that I didn’t like so as not to upset people. I was the youngest of 5 children and I remember my dad saying that I was the fussiest.
    I have realised now that i am an adult that it’s ok to have the food I like and I can make my own choices. There is not much I won’t eat because I really don’t like it apart from mussels. There are a few things which make me feel unwell such as oily fish and batter. I never was keen on meat and only ate it because I wanted to conform. These days I rarely touch it. As a child I struggled with pulses and still won’t eat them unless I can’t get round it, I just don’t like their heavy, dense texture. Whole grains have always caused me problems too so I stick to refined. I can eat and enjoy some of the things I couldn’t eat as a child but I think that was persevering that helped there, green beans and broad beans are now favourites. 

• I love food and have always considered myself to eat anything. However I realise that I LEARNED to eat so many things that I didn’t like so as not to upset people. I was the youngest of 5 children and I remember my dad saying that I was the fussiest.
    I have realised now that i am an adult that it’s ok to have the food I like and I can make my own choices. There is not much I won’t eat because I really don’t like it apart from mussels. There are a few things which make me feel unwell such as oily fish and batter. I never was keen on meat and only ate it because I wanted to conform. These days I rarely touch it. As a child I struggled with pulses and still won’t eat them unless I can’t get round it, I just don’t like their heavy, dense texture. Whole grains have always caused me problems too so I stick to refined. I can eat and enjoy some of the things I couldn’t eat as a child but I think that was persevering that helped there, green beans and broad beans are now favourites. 

Children
No Data