Food choices

Are you able to eat anything now that you couldn’t as a child?

I didn’t think I had any food issues until I realised I was Autistic in 2019, and subsequently went through my existence with a fine toothed comb.

My sensory issues don’t stop me eating anything specific as such. It’s more of the case I avoid certain things, and I can, because I cook for myself as my children have flown the nest. I had a little think just now, and I still avoid the things I did as a child. Do you? 

Parents
  • From what I've been told by my mother, I would pretty much eat anything that was put in front of me... until I suddenly didn't and got very choosy about the food I liked and was willing to eat. I'm guessing this started around the age of 3 or 4 and continued until I was in my late teens.

For years, I wouldn't even eat potatoes, but now I love them (boiled, mashed, roasted, baked). The next thing on the list of things I was willing to start eating again were peas, broccoli, and parsnips. There's a bit of a veg theme going on here. Wink

• From what I've been told by my mother, I would pretty much eat anything that was put in front of me... until I suddenly didn't and got very choosy about the food I liked and was willing to eat. I'm guessing this started around the age of 3 or 4 and continued until I was in my late teens.

For years, I wouldn't even eat potatoes, but now I love them (boiled, mashed, roasted, baked). The next thing on the list of things I was willing to start eating again were peas, broccoli, and parsnips. There's a bit of a veg theme going on here. Wink

Children