Autistic and Christian

Is there anybody out there who feels they so much want to fit in with everyone else but struggles to at church.  Does your church open and understand your autism.  What can we do to change struggles we have in a busy church environment?  Autism christian bible study groups etc?  I am thinking at random.  What are your thoughts and what are your struggles? 

Parents
  • For me the hardest part was always when they tea abd coffee afterwards and I was always the one left out.  This has happened in several different churches.  

There's also the issue of institutional ableism.  A lot of theology is based on the idea that humans are broken and God will fix them, but it also says that desease and siffering are a result of the Fall, and most Christians I know would include any kind of disability in this.  Churches often see disabled people as something for God to fix.  And then if they pray and you don't become miraculously healed then it's because you don't have enough faith, or the right kind of faith.  

Honestly, if people believe prayer really works, why don't they spend more time praying for things that really matter like equal rights or fixing the state of the NHS.

• This is why I drifted to the pagan side of unitarianism.
    I also don't attend congregations/meets.
    I know what you mean. Although that born into sin and needing to be fixed is also applied to NT and able bodied people, it is definitely magnified when it comes to any of us who are the "other." And it never sat right with me that a loving omnipotent God would require anyone to change or "be fixed" to be worthy of love.
    Also people praying for the "hand of God" to help is kinda silly*... I don't think people realise there are many hands of God, because the hand of God is you, it's me, and the man on the street. It's in the acts of everyday kindness we do for people. Everytime you put spare change in the guide dog collection box, etc.
    *There's nothing wrong with prayer as a wish when the power to do is out of our own hands, but just wishing for something when you can actually put energy into enacting it instead is a waste of time imo.
    Frankie Laine's "I Believe" is as much about human kindness as it is a metaphysical deity, we can all be that "someone" somewhere ready to help eachother. : )

p.s. I love your profile pic, "Fuschia is a dancer, dancing on her toes" I remember it from the book.

• And it never sat right with me that a loving omnipotent God would require anyone to change or "be fixed" to be worthy of love.

But that is not what the Bible says. "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8) and "greater love has nobody than this, that one lay down one's life for one's friends" (John 15:13). So God loves us before we change.

In fact, we are not able to change enough to be worthy of anything. Whatever we do is imperfect, and we know it. I know I get things wrong, and hurt people without meaning to, or maybe even deliberately in a bad mood! I don't love enough. I cannot live up to my own standards and this makes me feel bad. So God who loves us and wants a relationship with us has to help us.

Once we have accepted his help, he will begin to fix us. Both physically and spiritually, although not to perfection in this life. But not without our permission and co-operation, we can resist the process. That it takes time and that people resist is why churches are full or people who are still broken. But we know we are broken and we are in the process of mending.

Personally, I want to change and to be changed, because i am painfully aware of my own imperfections. I don't mean that I regard being autistic as an imperfection, but i am not even all that good at being autistic! I make lots of mistakes and gets stuff wrong and I don't like getting stuff wrong.

I'm sure an omnipotent God could have made people perfect to start with, so he must have a good reason for doing it this way. I don't know what it is, but I trust him that it is for the best somehow, even though it doesn't make sense to me and hurts. I know he loves me even though I fail, but he wants the best for me so will help me as I try to do better.

• Four.  Years.  Studying.  Christian.  Theology.  

Not to mention all the years I spent in the church.  

And yet you're still talking as if you know better than me and can tell me all this as if I hadn't heard it before.  Your views on LGBT+ issues are a perfect example of how you have taken a few verses and used them to justify a prejudiced opinion based on an outside moral viewpoint, or influenced by an external philosophy as you put it.  There are all kinds of rules in the bible that many Christians choose to ignore, but they focus on the sexual ones as a core value. 

On the one hand you say you blame evil on everyone, but then you also say that there are supernatural evil entities influencing people. 

And yes, for the sake of clarity, you have offended me.  You're still insinuating that my choices are sinful.  You're saying it's wrong to judge others even as you judging the faith of others as "not true Christianity."

I could keep arguing this, but quite frankly I have other things to do.

• Triker it wasn't just you per se, and it wasn't anything you said that was the "final straw", yes we exchanged words but I feel like we at least somewhat met in the end somewhere more amiable than it could have gone. And I'd rather leave it there. This doesn't seem to be something we will ever agree on so hammering away at it after this realisation would be a colossal waste of both our time and energy. As I said I'm used to being put on the defensive being a minority within a minority but my spoons for it is finite and there is a whole bad vibe that's built up since so I'd rather simply leave this thread now rather than continue further. 

• I absolutely agree that there are sometimes varying interpretations of scripture. Not about every aspect of the faith though, there are some things all Christians do agree on, and anyone not agreeing with those has some kind of faith which could not be accurately be called Christianity. There are some interpretations which have been influenced by external philosophies, that have produced inconsistent interpretations even going right back to theologians in the early church (which i find quite fascinating). I don't think any denomination has theology all correct, nor myself either! But some errors are more harmful than others are some are subtle and difficult to spot.

The role of women is indeed a knotty one, which has caused a lot damage, as is how the church has treated LGBT+ people as you point out. Thing is, I don't just believe in God, but in supernatural evil entities who want to do humans harm, and one of their favourite ways of doing that is to twist theology to introduce these harmful doctrines and cause people to act in hateful rather than loving ways. So between the observable fact that all us humans are flawed and very capable of hurting each other even with the best of intentions, and the influence of supernatural evil, it is no wonder that bad things happen in churches.

Nobody should be suggesting any people are more flawed than any other people. OK so Hitler's sin was on a grander scale than many people's, but being judgemental and hating someone is just as much a sin as actually murdering them. Whichever christians were being judgemental to you were by doing so sinning but they must have skimmed over that part of their Bible reading! Jesus spoke with marginalised groups, often in preference to the religious establishment, as you must know from Bible college. Every Christian should be trying to change to be more like Jesus, but we can't do it on our own, we need the help of the Holy Spirit. The more we try to do it in our own strength, according to our own idea of how things should be, rather than trying to understand what the Bible really teaches, which is radical love, the more we will fail and the more we will hurt others and ourselves.

I guess it is somewhat nuanced, the thing about change. We are worthy of love apart from whether we change, I do maintain this is what the Bible teaches. But also I would agree that change is required, from absolutely everyone, no exceptions, no sinner worse than any other. Just, the reason for the change is not in order to be worthy of love, but because we realise that we need to change. It generally takes a long time, longer than a lifetime, but it is a process we need to engage in.

Whatever one makes of the story of the fall, all humans have done something which harmed someone else, and also things which harm themselves. God wants us to not do this because he loves us and doesn't want us harmed. There are churches which affirm the "lifestyle" choices you have been told you have to change. We are all different and all have different temptations to different kinds of sin. The way I read scripture I would have to try to be celibate if I had that temptation, but but that is my personal choice and would be between me and God. I try not to judge others for their choices, nor impose my choices on them, though I do want to have the conversation about the reasons why each of us has made the choice we have, not least because i might be wrong, which I would want to know. Though I find that hard when they choose to do things which are harmful to the environment, for example, which many Christians don't even think twice about even while they are obsessing over other people's sexual sin. And I certainly don't have it right regarding my own sin, the ones I am aware of and actively working on (and failing at!) and the ones I am sure I have that I don't even realise.

Maybe I'm still just a d*ck but I blame evil on everyone (except God, as he did not want us to be evil, but in creating us with free will he must have known it would happen) not just Adam and Eve, certainly not on marginalised groups. I hope I haven't offended you. I'm sure there is a lot I could learn from you, I'm still only learning myself. And I hope I have expressed myself right, I'm sure I might have made mistakes even though I try hard not to. And this is a very long reply!

• I absolutely agree that there are sometimes varying interpretations of scripture. Not about every aspect of the faith though, there are some things all Christians do agree on, and anyone not agreeing with those has some kind of faith which could not be accurately be called Christianity. There are some interpretations which have been influenced by external philosophies, that have produced inconsistent interpretations even going right back to theologians in the early church (which i find quite fascinating). I don't think any denomination has theology all correct, nor myself either! But some errors are more harmful than others are some are subtle and difficult to spot.

The role of women is indeed a knotty one, which has caused a lot damage, as is how the church has treated LGBT+ people as you point out. Thing is, I don't just believe in God, but in supernatural evil entities who want to do humans harm, and one of their favourite ways of doing that is to twist theology to introduce these harmful doctrines and cause people to act in hateful rather than loving ways. So between the observable fact that all us humans are flawed and very capable of hurting each other even with the best of intentions, and the influence of supernatural evil, it is no wonder that bad things happen in churches.

Nobody should be suggesting any people are more flawed than any other people. OK so Hitler's sin was on a grander scale than many people's, but being judgemental and hating someone is just as much a sin as actually murdering them. Whichever christians were being judgemental to you were by doing so sinning but they must have skimmed over that part of their Bible reading! Jesus spoke with marginalised groups, often in preference to the religious establishment, as you must know from Bible college. Every Christian should be trying to change to be more like Jesus, but we can't do it on our own, we need the help of the Holy Spirit. The more we try to do it in our own strength, according to our own idea of how things should be, rather than trying to understand what the Bible really teaches, which is radical love, the more we will fail and the more we will hurt others and ourselves.

I guess it is somewhat nuanced, the thing about change. We are worthy of love apart from whether we change, I do maintain this is what the Bible teaches. But also I would agree that change is required, from absolutely everyone, no exceptions, no sinner worse than any other. Just, the reason for the change is not in order to be worthy of love, but because we realise that we need to change. It generally takes a long time, longer than a lifetime, but it is a process we need to engage in.

Whatever one makes of the story of the fall, all humans have done something which harmed someone else, and also things which harm themselves. God wants us to not do this because he loves us and doesn't want us harmed. There are churches which affirm the "lifestyle" choices you have been told you have to change. We are all different and all have different temptations to different kinds of sin. The way I read scripture I would have to try to be celibate if I had that temptation, but but that is my personal choice and would be between me and God. I try not to judge others for their choices, nor impose my choices on them, though I do want to have the conversation about the reasons why each of us has made the choice we have, not least because i might be wrong, which I would want to know. Though I find that hard when they choose to do things which are harmful to the environment, for example, which many Christians don't even think twice about even while they are obsessing over other people's sexual sin. And I certainly don't have it right regarding my own sin, the ones I am aware of and actively working on (and failing at!) and the ones I am sure I have that I don't even realise.

Maybe I'm still just a d*ck but I blame evil on everyone (except God, as he did not want us to be evil, but in creating us with free will he must have known it would happen) not just Adam and Eve, certainly not on marginalised groups. I hope I haven't offended you. I'm sure there is a lot I could learn from you, I'm still only learning myself. And I hope I have expressed myself right, I'm sure I might have made mistakes even though I try hard not to. And this is a very long reply!

Children
  • Four.  Years.  Studying.  Christian.  Theology.  

Not to mention all the years I spent in the church.  

And yet you're still talking as if you know better than me and can tell me all this as if I hadn't heard it before.  Your views on LGBT+ issues are a perfect example of how you have taken a few verses and used them to justify a prejudiced opinion based on an outside moral viewpoint, or influenced by an external philosophy as you put it.  There are all kinds of rules in the bible that many Christians choose to ignore, but they focus on the sexual ones as a core value. 

On the one hand you say you blame evil on everyone, but then you also say that there are supernatural evil entities influencing people. 

And yes, for the sake of clarity, you have offended me.  You're still insinuating that my choices are sinful.  You're saying it's wrong to judge others even as you judging the faith of others as "not true Christianity."

I could keep arguing this, but quite frankly I have other things to do.