Why are decisions hard?

I think I only have one decision making process. I noticed years ago that there seems to be no difference in how I decide what to have for dinner and how I make a huge life changing decision like where to move house to for example. Which means I can be relatively fast on the big decisions, although I do my due diligence and take days or weeks to be sure, but really I have probably already made the decision. Or not if it is a dithery one, but I also feel that way over some food choices! If none of the options are good then it is so hard. But i didn't really want to discuss menu problems so much as the underlying issue.

I think this is one reason why we like routines and having the same food all the time - to save having to decide every time we eat! Not all of us, I'm sure there are other reasons, but I have heard it somewhere.

One reason might be that all decisions seem equally important to me. If it really doesn't matter then it is not worth spending too long over and maybe to most people most decisions are in that category. But I find that hard. Taking it to extremes I have to get very low importance to find an example of a not important decision, like playing wordle I always have my starting word but then if there were two equally good (or bad) options for the next word i don't dither too long as it totally doesn't matter.

But I have spent hours today deciding which yarn to use for my next crochet project. It is a reason I have not done much crochet in recent years, because this decision making process can be so taxing. This is the same reason I cannot tidy up the messy house which upsets my husband. Each thing requires a decision, or rather many! Do i keep or not? If I keep it where does it go? Is there room for it there? No, then what do it do with it?! Or if I don't keep it but it is not actual rubbish then how to dispose of it? (landfill is bad)

Why d I have to get everything right? What is the consequence of getting one of these decisions wrong? I end up eating a meal I don't feel in the mood for? Big deal! (Although that was worse with eating out if there was nothing I even like). But then the crochet - it does take me a long time so I don't really want to spend hours making something i then don't love and use or have to unpick. But the tidying - really the consequences are probably worse for failing to do it than they are for getting it wrong. I already can't find lots of things! So if I tidy up I am more likely to improve that than disimprove it.

This is too long and rambling and I think I have lost the point, if there was one. Maybe the point was partly that I think this is something at least some of you can relate to so i feel less alone and frustrated in world where it seems most people can just do this stuff without it twisting their brains into a painful pretzel! Or maybe it's just me... but surely not?

I think the consequences thing is relevant. I need to consider that. It might help make some decisions easier if they don't have bad consequences. But it doesn't help if they do actually matter...

Parents
  • I’m not sure why decisions are difficult.
    For me I don’t know enough to make a ‘perfect’ decision.
    if i  am experiencing something it seems like the most important thing in the universe. 

Thus, even a decision - when experiencing it - seems like most important thing in the universe. 
    I feel overwhelmed about making a decision - it seems momentous and too much responsibility.

The question is: ‘do I have the capacity to somehow, using mind body imagination, whatever, to Turn over the stress, or problem’ to any agency real or imaginary or which might help me.  Doing that is either worth the risk of it working or not. 

• if i  am experiencing something it seems like the most important thing in the universe. 

Yes! This is a good description! I think that is why stepping away, even briefly, can help put the thing in perspective.

Turning it over to God definitely helps too, although I still have to make the decision...

Thanks, that was a useful reply.

• if i  am experiencing something it seems like the most important thing in the universe. 

Yes! This is a good description! I think that is why stepping away, even briefly, can help put the thing in perspective.

Turning it over to God definitely helps too, although I still have to make the decision...

Thanks, that was a useful reply.

Children
No Data