Temperature

It's hot here again. 30c today and then 35 for the next 3 days. I don't do too well in the heat so I'm suffering at the moment.

I'm trying to keep cool and not worry too much but it's feeling hot here already and it's getting to me.

• I’m hoping for a bit more rain here as we’ve really not had much at all today. But I agree, the cooler air is wonderful. The smell of the wet ground is lovely too- I’ll be looking forward to that soon.

• Loving the smell of the wet ground and cool air.

• I’m pleased to say that today went much better. I stuck to my usual preparations and actually didn’t focus too much on the weather. Instead I kept busy on a few other tasks that required concentration. Much less time to worry that way. Fingers crossed for cooler temperatures soon. 

• It's the last day of extreme heat temperature for a lot of people today thankfully. I'm expecting 33 c today and 28 tomorrow.

• Yes, I’ll be back on the regime today. Although it feels frantic at times, I’ll take it over yesterday’s experience!

I am so glad by the way that someone else understands about the timings!

I can second this sentiment. This forum is a great place to find shared experiences in many of the things we feel alone in. This has been a great example of that.

Another thing I’ve realised is that this weather has become a bit of an interest of mine. It’s all I’ve been able to think/talk about. It hasn’t, however, been a rewarding interest like some of my interests, rather, it has been bought about by worry I feel. I’m looking forward to moving on from this once the heatwave is over too.

• It was 30 degrees where I live... I think the sun has been more intense and incessant this time.

• Oh dear! Being uncomfortably hot and berating oneself definitely doesn't sound liberating! I think I will continue to stick rigidly to my temperature regulation regime until the heatwave is over.

As you say, if you put the effort in when it counts at least you know you have done your best to keep it as cool as possible, despite the worry about if you have done enough or got your timings right. (I am so glad by the way that someone else understands about the timings!)

• today was 28 degrees c where i lived... i find it was hotter than when it was 40 degrees c somehow...

• I hope that your day was manageable today, cricket or no cricket. I was thinking of you.

• sometimes I wonder if giving up on trying to manage the indoor temperature and just accepting the heat and discomfort would be a more liberating and reasonable approach.

I did this today. I slept poorly last night, so didn’t put energy into my usual preparation. It felt bad in a few different ways. The obvious downside was the discomfort that came with the heat as this was more than it had been compared to when I employ my usual measures. The not so obvious downside was the guilt that developed throughout the day for not putting the effort in when it counted. I’ve been beating myself up over this all day and will resume my measures tomorrow. It didn’t turn out to be so liberating, rather than worrying if I was doing enough/ getting my timings right, I ended up dwelling on my inaction and lack of preparation. 

• That sounds glorious. I was watching something about Greenland earlier. The snowy landscapes looked beautiful. I would have happily gone there to shelter away from the heat today.

• It is still remarkably cool. I don't know what the temperature is inside, but I am now comfortable without the fleece jacket.

Upstairs was getting warmer by last night, so much so that I had to throw off my 15 tog duvet and weighted blanket!. I opened the bedroom window wide for a few hours during the night and that cooled the room down again nicely.

I did manage to get out in the garden for a short while today, under the shade of a parasol. It was so quiet I think my neighbours must have been out. I retreated inside once it started up again, but at least I did get some fresh air.

• You are lucky to still be able to wear an extra layer! Is your house still lovely and cool? Mine stays cool(ish) for a while but the stones have heated through now and it is 20 degrees inside now, which is unbearable for me. I think it will continue to get warmer inside here over the next few days too.

I haven't been out for any walks but I have been getting up at 6 am every day to do some gardening. It has really helped with the feeling of claustrophobia from being in the house all day with the windows and curtains and doors closed. It is cool and peaceful so early in the morning. I am tired but it is worth it to be able to get out of the house and be outside for a while. I was wondering if you would be able to do the same thing and maybe you could get some fresh air before your neighbour's dog gets let out into the garden? 

• Wish some of Icelands temp and weather would come over here lol.

• I couldnt agree more! I love the feeling of having to put a jumper on for the first time and autumn is my favourite season. Im dreaming of going to iceland on holiday, at the moment it is 12 degrees and drizzling there, bliss!

• I think that might be true. I think the air in hotter countries is a lot drier and cleaner than here though and theres less humidity so maybe it doesnt feel as bad. I know when I was in greece it was 30 plus degrees but felt no where near as bad as 30 plus degrees does here

• This heat is crazy. At the moment it feels cool here but the sun is coming up and in a few hours it'll be hot again. I'll be glad when this ends it's unbearable.

• It looks like this summer is going to continue unbearably hot, 27C in my room now, at least I do not have to go anywhere until Monday evening

• I bought a fan, yesterday, and used the money saved to treat myself today. 

• This is all very true. My ideal holiday is very different to the hot beach/pool holidays that a lot of people fantasise about. The adamant way in which people proclaim that we should all be enjoying it, would suggest that they themselves can’t see why anyone wouldn’t enjoy it. Perhaps due to their own interpretation of the heat. I struggle to see why people don’t enjoy the refreshing cool, crisp air of an autumn or winter morning in fairness.