FILM ~ As Good as It Gets

The film As Good as It Gets it stars Jack Nicholson as a misanthropic, obsessive-compulsive novelist.

Misanthropy is a mistrust of humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misanthropy

I thought the charactor was displaying aspergers and OCD. Saying the wrong thing at the wrong time in social awkward situations with pure innocent is aspie.

Any thoughts ?

Parents
  • I love that film. I wouldn't say Melvin was a misanthropist either. Yes, the film is schmaltzy but it did give me a lump in my throat a few times. I could relate to the OCD and (apart from the racist and homophobic stuff) I can be a total *** when I see things as a waste of energy, intrusive to my personal space or my routine/order. I ironically can't stand schmaltz or anything I deem as emotional for no reason or when sentimentality overrides practicality. The other day there was an advert with a talking dog and one of my cousins was talking about it I said "It's just a way to sell an over priced, crappy product to people who think their dogs can talk. Buy these ones instead those ones gave my dog an allergic reaction". Later on my mom said I was being rude I said "How? It's true. Saving someone money and stopping them buying a *** dog chew that makes dogs ill is far from rude". Some people find it funny, others rude, I'm not trying to be either. A lot of times I'm talking sense and I have a genuine concern for the person but I come across as odd or a *** or both. Far from misanthropy.

I have neighbours who get on my nerves, they are far too loud but they are good people. I overheard them talking about money troubles, because they have voiceboxes like Howler monkeys and like to talk their personal business in the garden. They didn't bring it on themselves either. At the time I had a bit of money myself, so I waited until about 3 in the morning and shoved some money through the letterbox. I couldn't imagine going around and offering it. Too embarrassing for me and them. Cringey and demeaning. They managed to free up some money and I didn't have to put up with the uncertainty of having someone else move in. They are noisy *** but they are my noisy *** and the noise is never around the time I sleep. A little self-serving but I helped them and myself. I've done the same thing with a few friends as well. I can't stand the feeling of parade and preening or making someone feel indebted to me. I just shove a blank envelope through the door. I did it when my friend couldn't afford to send his kid on a school trip and the other kids were giving them stick about it. I've never told anyone about any of this not even my ex or my mom and I'm not telling people here because I want to appear saintly. I'm not, I'm a prickly, snarky, sometimes aggressive *** but not a misanthropist.

Here's the worst part. I actually shed a tear when I watched this film a while ago. I get Melvin. I like a schmatlzy film with a happy ending. So much for misanthropy. That was cathartic but now I feel silly, lol.

• I love that film. Jack's and Helen's Oscar wins were much deserved. I can see the signs of Asperger's in the character of Melvin. There are some hilarious and sad moments in the film.  "Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here". Great line lol!.  And "the stiff one eye" line. Hilarious!. 

• "You're a disgrace to depression" is one of my favourite lines. One that also stands out in regards to Melvin's suspected AS is "People who speak in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch", pretty compelling.

On the subject of the "stiff one eye" scene, I went back to a gay friends house after a night out and they brought a few of their friends back. One was being a real *** to everyone. I have a tic in my one eye from an old injury and he was really drunk and kept making some catty remarks about it. I speak really slowly too, sometimes people think I'm dozy. I ignored him for ages but then he asked me where my eye patch was, big mistake. I said "Why do you want to borrow it? You can't look any worse. Gay men are usually so well dressed. You look like Ratso from Midnight Cowboy", he actually did. They all called him Ratso after that night. I actually felt bad for the guy. It was funny on the night even he found it funny but I hate my mouth sometimes. My ex even said "I saw Ratso the other day" a few weeks ago. It's been about 10 years since that night too. Poor Ratso. 

I can just blurt out some real *** things. I'm lucky to have the friends I have, they are used to me. The thing I do like is that when there's an argument between people I'm pretty objective. I can be pretty direct which usually diffuses things. I'll get to the heart of things quickly. I'm not constantly like it but if someone starts being silly, I usually blurt something out. It's a good thing sometimes but sometimes it's my worst enemy. That's why I get Melvin.

• "You're a disgrace to depression" is one of my favourite lines. One that also stands out in regards to Melvin's suspected AS is "People who speak in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch", pretty compelling.

On the subject of the "stiff one eye" scene, I went back to a gay friends house after a night out and they brought a few of their friends back. One was being a real *** to everyone. I have a tic in my one eye from an old injury and he was really drunk and kept making some catty remarks about it. I speak really slowly too, sometimes people think I'm dozy. I ignored him for ages but then he asked me where my eye patch was, big mistake. I said "Why do you want to borrow it? You can't look any worse. Gay men are usually so well dressed. You look like Ratso from Midnight Cowboy", he actually did. They all called him Ratso after that night. I actually felt bad for the guy. It was funny on the night even he found it funny but I hate my mouth sometimes. My ex even said "I saw Ratso the other day" a few weeks ago. It's been about 10 years since that night too. Poor Ratso. 

I can just blurt out some real *** things. I'm lucky to have the friends I have, they are used to me. The thing I do like is that when there's an argument between people I'm pretty objective. I can be pretty direct which usually diffuses things. I'll get to the heart of things quickly. I'm not constantly like it but if someone starts being silly, I usually blurt something out. It's a good thing sometimes but sometimes it's my worst enemy. That's why I get Melvin.

Children
No Data