Benefits

Im new to the forum - I have 3 boys, 14yrs, 11yrs (diagnosed asd,adhd + chromosmal abnormalities, global delay), 9yrs old (undiagnosed but under camhs). 

I have 2 questions the first regarding DLA - I have had DLA for middle son more or less since birth, varying levels at varying times of development, at the moment middle rate personal care and lower rate mobility. He has always struggled with sleeping, nightmares etc and has recently started on melatonin. Someone told me i should reapply as its a change of circumstances but im concerned with todays climate they will reduce the ammount. There are a few other things that seem to be getting worse with him too, such as sensory problems and ticks. Is it really worth it? and would i have to reapply or just inform of changes?

The second question is regarding carers allowance grant, I have never applied for it before and would like to try and get some out door play equipment for him, does anyone know where is good value for money and that supplies swings for older/heavier kids, as you will understand i think toys for my boys have to be just a bit more durable. Ive looked but most websites are expensive or commercial.

Thanks in anticipation

• Thanks both for replies will be useful to check out links, sorry for delay (computer problems!).

• Hello Jo90 and welcome to the forum. We hope you find this a useful place to get support and share information with other users.

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns with regards DLA. You may find it useful in respect to this and Carers' Allowance or grants for equipment to contact the NAS Welfare Rights Service who should be able to provide support and guidance in terms of what you are currently entitled to.

Information about the Welfare Rights Service can be accessed here:
    www.autism.org.uk/welfarerights

We hope that you find this, alongside the information provided above by 7823rose useful, and we're glad to hear that 7823rose found the NAS useful in this regard.

• Dear jo90, I have a 13yr old son who was diagnosed with Autism and severe learning difficulties just before his 2nd birthday. I have always had DLA at the highest rate for both care and mobility, which as of sept 2009 was awarded indefinitely. Apart from NAS I found the -Benefitsandworks.co.uk the most helpfull when claiming or appealing. They have information you can print off ,guides on how to word it to be successful, information on what the people who assess our claims are looking at and the guides they use.They also have this kind of forum so you can ask questions. I also have carers allowance. As for funding of special out door toys, take a look at- Familyfund.org.uk  they give grants to buy things that will benefit both the child and the family. This year we had a laptop, the year before the wii console and everything that goes with it for fitness. A few years ago they funded us to buy a 15ft by 15ft bouncy castle! Because my son loved to bounce and still uses it now. I googled-outdoor toys for disabled children and it came up loads. Best wishes Rose