Training Courses

Morning 

I'm interested in attending training courses to learn more about autism to better equip me to care for my child both now and as he progresses into adulthood.

I was looking at the 6 module online training provided by the National Autistic Society for £150 +vat. Has anyone else done this course? And if so, I would love your feedback.

Also, if anyone can recommend other training, that would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Dan

• I know I’m chiming in a bit late here, but for anyone else looking into this, there are a few other great options to consider. The course you mentioned sounds solid, but it’s worth checking out some local training providers as well.

• Yes that is entirely the intention. Aucademy videos are meant to be for autistic people as well as parents and professionals in order to help us develop a stronger positive autistic identity. I have been watching the 6 common reactions to autistic discovery, it is really good.

• Yes, I did this course a while ago and found it very useful too.  Damian Milton features plus, as far as I can remember, Georgina Watts.  Plus all the Futurelearn courses have lots of interaction between participants and mentors, which is often missing from other courses.   

• I’ve just completed the Future Learn course.  It is run by Kent University and is a really good general introduction to Autism.  It is free (if you don’t want the certificate).  

It feels very up to date and definitely doesn’t reinforce stereotypes. 2 of the course tutors are autistic and they are brilliant.  It really helped me understand the autistic perspective.  It is positive while also considering some of the challenges that autistic people face in society and also the problems faced by people who are not autistic - for example our challenge is often empathising with someone who is autistic - the double empathy problem (ie autistic people are not the only ones to ‘struggle’ with empathy!). 

It is a four week course of around 2-3 hours a week.  There is space for discussion. There is a mix of family, professionals and autistic people taking part in the course.  I really recommend it as a starting point and there is a lot of suggestions for further reading if you want it. 

• Yes, they seem to cover a wide range of topics in a upbeat way.  I tend to come away from their videos feeling bolstered and more positive about myself. 

• I have looked at Aucademy, I really like it.

• Thank you everyone for your replies. They are ver helpful

• Your local autism partnership may be providing something similar but for free. 

• check with your health authority, For example recovery college for surrey health run a number of free online courses for those diagnosed or supporting those that have been

• Yes, Ausome Training is excellent.  Likewise Kieran Rose's introductory course which can be booked from his website (the Autistic Advocate).  Plus the price has been kept quite low for what is offered.  

I'd also recommend searching for any YouTube videos by Evaleen Whelton or Kieran Rose.  Aucademy is very good too, with a lot of free videos on a range of topics.  

• I have tried the OU module, I didn’t think it was that good. It reinforced stereotypes and was quite outdated. I think training courses are better and more accurate if they value autistic people and ideally are written by us. Peoples’understanding of being autistic is much different when they hear it directly from us.

• I have tried the OU module, I didn’t think it was that good. It reinforced stereotypes and was quite outdated. I think training courses are better and more accurate if they value autistic people and ideally are written by us. Peoples’understanding of being autistic is much different when they hear it directly from us.

• I'm considering the Sheffield Halam post-grad which has been developed with the NAS.  I didn't know about the one you mention.  I assume it's on this site somewhere...I'll have a poke around.

I know the OU do a free online module which looks like a good starter for 10.

• Some of the NAS courses are good, but I would recommend AUSOME training. It is an autistic led training company which means it will educate you about being autistic as opposed to autism. It will hopefully make you think about autistic people in a different way.

https://ausometraining.com/

I hope this helps.

• I am looking into doing the same too. I am determined to learn more the older my son gets.