Struggling with Maths Assessments in School

Hi - new to the community but hoping to reach out to others who may had similar issues! My daughter is in Yr9 and in the past managed to sit maths test. However this year they are really struggling to do the assessments in class. The last two she didn't complete at all. They say they are fine with the learning and don't feel as if they are struggling, and at a recent parents evening they were happy with her school work (at this point they only had done one assessment and school was not panicking).  My daughter mentions class room  noises, brain stops working and i think they may be having problems 'dissecting' some maths questions. As we are fast approaching GCSE years, I really want to try & work out what may be going on to try & get some help. They are a bright & capable student, and doesn't seem to have the same issues with other subjects. I will admit they seem less keen to revise for maths and that is probably contributing, so ideas on how to encourage/help with maths revision gratefully received! 

Parents
  • Hi, I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is finding assessments difficult.

I know a common accommodation used in exams is a separate quiet room. Maybe talk to the school about trialing this, and it should certainly be accessible for national exams like GCSEs. My school used classrooms with no one in, staff rooms, and technician rooms for in class assessments. That may help deal with some of what sounds like sensory issues interfering. Have they tried earphones, headphones or noise reducers? These were essential during my schooling for me to be able to access classroom learning and tests. Even if it's theoretically 'silent' just people existing can be impossibly loud when you struggle to filter out sound

For revision/interpreting questions, are you able to access/have you considered a tutor? They can help with exam technique as well as content and are a very structured way of revising which could help. They can also be of use if you get a good one at figuring out exactly where the problem is. 

Hope this is some help

• Hi, I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is finding assessments difficult.

I know a common accommodation used in exams is a separate quiet room. Maybe talk to the school about trialing this, and it should certainly be accessible for national exams like GCSEs. My school used classrooms with no one in, staff rooms, and technician rooms for in class assessments. That may help deal with some of what sounds like sensory issues interfering. Have they tried earphones, headphones or noise reducers? These were essential during my schooling for me to be able to access classroom learning and tests. Even if it's theoretically 'silent' just people existing can be impossibly loud when you struggle to filter out sound

For revision/interpreting questions, are you able to access/have you considered a tutor? They can help with exam technique as well as content and are a very structured way of revising which could help. They can also be of use if you get a good one at figuring out exactly where the problem is. 

Hope this is some help

Children
No Data