This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

When is your birthday?

I thought it would be nice to know each others birthdays and to see if we're birthday twins Slight smile

*****[Edited my Mod]

• [Edited by Mod] breaking rule 4.  

• That's what I was getting at personally s couple have over reacted as I stated it's an autistic trait not somone fishing for information. My mate use to be able to memorize the hole school years dates and birthdays he'd ask because he likes to memorize stats and statistics. I also don't think the people who are suspicious are being mean either there probably just not comfortable with sharing personal information. Bare in mind were more or less all on the spectrum here so some of us will react differently to do different topics.

• [Edited by Moderator].  Post edited due to breaking rule 2 "do not post personal or identifying details"

Suzanne Mod

• Glossing over some of the bile that has been posted in this thread... you have touched on a subject that I find fascinating. Do you know about the Birthday Paradox? It is a wonderful thing in mathematics. 

The paradox states that in a random group of 23 people, there is about a 50 percent chance that two people have the same birthday. How cool is that!? It's really not intuitive which is why it is called a paradox.

If anyone is interested in the reasons why this is the case, here you go:

The issue at hand is about comparing birthdays across 23 people. A person's birthday is 1 out of 365 possibilities (forget leap years for simplicity). What's the probability a person does NOT have the same birthday as another person? That is 364/365 - because there are 364 days that are not a person's birthday. So, any two people being compared have a 364/365 (98.7%) chance of not matching birthdays.

The next step is the really cool bit. In any group of 23 people there are 253 comparisons that must be made to check for matching birthdays. Why? The first person to check needs to check 22 people. The next person then needs to check just 21 because the 2nd person was already compared to the first person. And so on. So, you get a sum of 22+21+20+...+1 = 253. So there are 253 chances for matching birthdays in this group of 23.

Every one of these 253 chances as the same probability of NOT being a birthday match. So we multiple 99.7% by 99.7% 253 times this gets you a 49.952% chance that all 253 comparisons have no birthday matches. Therefore, the chance of a birthday match in that group is 1 minus 49.952% which is 50.048% i.e. around 50-50!!!

I find this amazing every time I think about it.

• No-one has shared their birth date here.

Why are you being so horrible, there is no need for this. It is just abusive.

• If it's any consolation most of realise interests in memorising dates are an Autistic trate. Some people are overly touchy when sharing personal details online. Mines 14th of August.

• There's no need to be so horrible about it. I have enough people in real life who are horrible to me I don't want to have it here as well.

Let's all try to be nice please.

• Sharing birth dates is personal and **** [edited by mod]. Keep private info to yourself

• I may have been overcautious.

Birthdays should be ok.

Just don't reveal your actual date of birth because many systems use that as partial proof of your identity.

• What plinky said but I understand that date obsessions are an Asperger's trait. They like to memorise them. So could of meant it harmlessly.

• I like to think people will just be a bit nicer than that. I know there's trolls out there but there's a lot of nice people to. And we have the mods to deal with them if there are any Slight smile

• I agree, by revealing your birthday, one is left vulnerable to trolls and online conmen contacting you with special, birthday,  offers and it's an extra bit of information for someone trying to steal your identity.

Don't do it.

• yes i know, thanks. no-one can do anything with that single piece of information so it's fine. bigger concern is if this site gets hacked and our names and email addresses get posted online...

• You are sharing private information. FYI

• Fab! It's nearly your birthday Slight smile