Uni experiences?

Hiya,

What is everyone's experience with Uni? Would you do it again? What were the best and worst parts?

Alisha xx

Parents
  • I have studied and worked at a number of universities, it is well worth finding out about type of course etc. Best go for a course that you would enjoy doing which also has good career prospects (universities are businesses that make a k lot of their money having people on their courses, so best get independent information about percentage of graduates going into decent graduate jobs).

There are a number of routes to a degree, after leaving school I studied full time at university for a degree. Later in life I decided to try to get into Computing, I studied an HNC in Computing part time, then did a further year full time to get an HND in Computing. Following that while working during the day, I did a top up degree, two nights a week for two years to get a computing BSc.

Can you go to a local university or do you have to leave home and study in another part of the country? If you have to move then accomodation (price, type etc) might be important. In my case I  found that having suitable accomodation was crucial. I lived in flats where people didn't get on with one another and so living there was unpleasant and anxiety making. Also lodgings (living with a family) can be a problem. I preferred living in pleasant university halls, where a student can opt in too things that they like and opt out of things that they don't like.  Also need to think about travel to and from the university each day, public transport, maybe expensive if you have to park a car on campus, some places have a high rate of bicycle thefts etc.

There is a university league table with some information here:

www.theguardian.com/.../the-best-uk-universities-2021-league-table

There maybe be other university guides with other information.

Might be useful to find out what services and help a university offers to people on the Autistic spectrum. I am sure that some universities offer better experience for students on the spectrum than others.

Looking back on balance I enjoyed being a student, but as I don't have a graduate level job, I haven't benefitted financially from doing my degrees.

• I have studied and worked at a number of universities, it is well worth finding out about type of course etc. Best go for a course that you would enjoy doing which also has good career prospects (universities are businesses that make a k lot of their money having people on their courses, so best get independent information about percentage of graduates going into decent graduate jobs).

There are a number of routes to a degree, after leaving school I studied full time at university for a degree. Later in life I decided to try to get into Computing, I studied an HNC in Computing part time, then did a further year full time to get an HND in Computing. Following that while working during the day, I did a top up degree, two nights a week for two years to get a computing BSc.

Can you go to a local university or do you have to leave home and study in another part of the country? If you have to move then accomodation (price, type etc) might be important. In my case I  found that having suitable accomodation was crucial. I lived in flats where people didn't get on with one another and so living there was unpleasant and anxiety making. Also lodgings (living with a family) can be a problem. I preferred living in pleasant university halls, where a student can opt in too things that they like and opt out of things that they don't like.  Also need to think about travel to and from the university each day, public transport, maybe expensive if you have to park a car on campus, some places have a high rate of bicycle thefts etc.

There is a university league table with some information here:

www.theguardian.com/.../the-best-uk-universities-2021-league-table

There maybe be other university guides with other information.

Might be useful to find out what services and help a university offers to people on the Autistic spectrum. I am sure that some universities offer better experience for students on the spectrum than others.

Looking back on balance I enjoyed being a student, but as I don't have a graduate level job, I haven't benefitted financially from doing my degrees.

Children
No Data