What made you realise you have/might have autism?

Hey all, hope this is okay to post.

I’ve recently started to realise I may have autism - I originally thought it was ADHD but when I started looking at the crossover I realise that autism might be playing a role too!

I was just wondering what were the signs that originally made you realise you have/might have autism? Especially if you were diagnosed as an adult rather than as a child.

And a follow on question - looking back what did you do as a child that was likely due to autism? I want to get tested but seeing other peoples experiences I’m worried about the process - my memory is so rubbish I’m worried they’ll think I’m just wasting their time.

Thanks in advance! Yum

Parents
  • Back to the original question in this thread. The simplest answer is 59 years of difficulties, with a further difficult 2 years before someone agreed. And another difficult 4 years since when just about no one would agree, but during which time I self-added ADHD & dyspraxia (amongst others) to the bucket list. The evidence has continued to arrive almost daily for the last 7 years. The 'why' it turned out this way will probably never be answered, and it might well be a mix of genetics, natal trauma, childhood illness and head injuries anyway. But not likely to fall down any time soon. I guess I have quite a stubborn and recalcitrant streak, which also accounts for my being quite solitary. Life goes on!

• Back to the original question in this thread. The simplest answer is 59 years of difficulties, with a further difficult 2 years before someone agreed. And another difficult 4 years since when just about no one would agree, but during which time I self-added ADHD & dyspraxia (amongst others) to the bucket list. The evidence has continued to arrive almost daily for the last 7 years. The 'why' it turned out this way will probably never be answered, and it might well be a mix of genetics, natal trauma, childhood illness and head injuries anyway. But not likely to fall down any time soon. I guess I have quite a stubborn and recalcitrant streak, which also accounts for my being quite solitary. Life goes on!

Children
No Data