Sunflower Lanyard

I notice people are wearing sunflower lanyards now, I assume most people do have the right to wear then. but my cynicism side tells me that some people. Will only wear the lanyard, to circumnavigate the wearing of face coverings. And it's the people, that do wear a lanyard for that reason. Make my lanyard invalid. Because I worn the lanyard prior to the pandemic happening. And I didn't see people wear them, during that time period. I've been confronted a few times, why am I wearing a mask, and have a lanyard on. I just explain, what I've mentioned above

Parents
  • I carry mine around in my bag. I applied for mine about three years ago for use at the airport when travelling to Spain. I had a diagnosis of panic disorder and PTSD. I cannot wear any covering over my mouth for more than a few seconds without my fight or flight response being activated with disastrous consequences. I've only ever been asked where is your mask? once by someone standing guard at Sainsbury's (I never shop there usually, but I had no choice on this occasion).  A quick flash with my lanyard and he backed down with a look of abject disappointment and resentment. I find it distressing to be around people who wear those light-green medical face coverings. Seeing their covered faces can set off my panic disorder. I prefer to see people wearing more colourful and personalised face coverings.  Of course, I'd rather not see people wearing them at all. But, we are where we are, unfortunately. I remember last year everyone telling us that masks were ineffective and could even make matters worse. Not quite sure when they changed their minds. I've never seen anyone who wears them properly, nor anyone who doesn't constantly fiddle with them, or take them on and off, which defeats the whole purpose of wearing them.

• The government were saying masks didn't work. Science has always known they work.

• I'm reluctant to get into a debate about masks and masking as it seems to generate a lot of acid reflux in certain sections of society. But since you made this statement in response to one of my comments, it's only polite to share some facts with you.

The government were saying masks didn't work. Science has always known they work.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Science'?  That's a very broad category of study. But if you are referring to medical science, then no, you're incorrect, Odd.

The American CDC (Centre for Disease Control) and Doctor Anthony Fauci (The White House's resident physician-scientist and immunologist) have all previously advised the public against wearing face coverings. A quick google search will bring up all the articles that reported this.

Christ Witty (Chief Medical Officer for England), also told Sky News last year that wearing a face mask had almost no effect on reducing the risk of contracting the coronavirus. That's a direct quote from him. The same advice was also given by Jonathan Van-Tam.  Again, there is an abundance of articles about this available online.

They have all revised their public statements several times since, but the guidance of medical science has always been and still is that the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection against COVID-19 and that the only face-coverings that are guaranteed to protect the wearer from airborne particles and liquid contaminating the face are N95 respirators.

There is, however, some evidence that any type of surgical mask can delay the spread of the virus indoors by around 4 minutes IF the mask is both sterile and correctly applied, AND the enclosed space is well ventilated. But, the delay in infection is still only estimated at around 4 minutes.

It is not not true that medical science has always known they work. On the other hand, they have always known that specific masks work under specific conditions do offer some protection and that mask-wearing in general has almost no effect on reducing the risk of contracting the coronavirus.

• science solves problems eg covid

• The 'science' seems variable - the engineering never changes.

Reply Children
No Data