Do you guys actually care about this?

Parents
  • I'm diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Condition. They've not diagnosed me specifically as "high functioning" and I'm glad because whilst I have a job, good education, husband and kids, house, all the conventional goals basically, I don't think my autism makes me high functioning at anything, and I don't always function well thanks to autism when trying to meet even the smallest of demands. 

I refer to myself as being autistic in conversation. I don't really know what I'd have been labelled as in times gone by. 

• I'm diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Condition. They've not diagnosed me specifically as "high functioning" and I'm glad because whilst I have a job, good education, husband and kids, house, all the conventional goals basically, I don't think my autism makes me high functioning at anything, and I don't always function well thanks to autism when trying to meet even the smallest of demands. 

I refer to myself as being autistic in conversation. I don't really know what I'd have been labelled as in times gone by. 

Children
  • I don't think "high functioning" is a diagnostic term, so one isn't diagnosed as high or low functioning. It's just something used to separate the verbal from the non verbal, because that's really all it means. I would be called high functioning, but I function terribly! Lol!