What do you like to buy and collect?

Hey I thought it would be interesting to know what we all like to buy and collect. I like to buy books, I own lots of Agatha Christie books and loads of lego minifigures which I love to buy and collect. I've also began collecting money, my mum used to collect vintage banknotes, she had an album which is now mine and in it there's money from the 1920s. Such lovely things. I've also began collecting records. 

What do you all like to collect?

• better than many. i was extremely lucky on stock market gambles in the 1980s and thus able to pay off my mortgage. 

Its so different now. 

i forgot i have a coin collection, inert ammunition collection, bayonette collection, lego collection.

i hate 5p coins they are just too small.

• You must have lots by now   Smiley    I prefer collecting English Pounds - although I'm bad at it - I seem to swap all my £20 notes for 5p coins.

• No, I don't. But when I teach business English I do teach about the topic of money. 

• I see from your profile that you teach English as a foreign language.  Do you teach your students what the phrase 'old money' really means?

• Books and art supplies! And also clothes, although less so these days. I like to dress well on the rare occasions I go out, I think it's a masking thing

• money, I have been saving since I was 14 Slight smile

• I live in the country where many folk believe that conkers repel spiders. It's something that has come down the generations, they put small wooden bowls of them around the house to keep the pesky little six-legged insects at bay. . I've no idea if it works, but they look good when fresh.

When I was a child, every autumn boys would play a game of  'conkers'  in the playground, but I think Health & Safety regulations have put an end to that.

Ben

• I've never tried, the bigger ones tend to shrivel slightly in the drying process, but they all keep their colour quite well. The smaller they are the shiner they stay in my experience.

• As a child, I used to love the colour and shine of fresh ones - but they always went dull,    Can they be buffed up and polished?

• I found the magic of getting old coins in change too. 

I could not really collect decimalised coins now either as I don't live in the UK, haven't for over 20 years. I sometimes use my UK coins as realia with my students, where this comes up in a lesson

• Unfortunately I stopped collecting these coins after decimalisation.  Part of the fun was getting coins as part of the change, in shops.

Explicitly buying them in antique/second hand stores is something I won't do.  Although I enjoy visiting antique fairs and flea markets.

More recently, while taking holidays in Scotland and Northern Ireland, I tried to get a full collection of notes issued by the various banks.  Again I tried to get them naturally as change in shops.

• I still have my coin collection, which started from discovering an ancient, worn Victorian penny. One with her in a bun. The old head took up more space on the coin. I had a fairy sixpence, 1918 (tooth pillow), and an aunt even had a coin from 1986 that she let mebhave

Decimalisation did change all that, though I notice that the earliest ones of Elizabeth. now, also look somewhat worn, except for mine, which have retained their original copper sheen. 

• We had an acquaintance who originally encouraged us, he first told us about the rare years, when monarchs died and how to look up the value of the rare years, I think these were 1935, 1952/3.  

1971 spoiled all this, then the shilling & florin disappeared as the 5p and 10p were downsized.  Even the 50p got smaller.  It's no fun when there are less than 100 years to collect.

Now I just pay contactless.  No coin collection of any kind.

• Robert, soak them for a while in vinegar and then rub very gently with a soft cloth; never scrub or scrape them.

I collected pennies, ha'pennies, thru'penny bits and sixpences (tanners). One for each year, displayed in cardboard folders sold for the purpose. I also had some farthings, but they were withdrawn when I was very young. I still have them all but no longer in display folders. I don't think they are worth much.

There were small books for sale called 'Check Your Change' price half-a-crown (2/6d), these listed the number of coins minted each year and their rarity value.

The old coins had character, history, size and weight, not like this toytown stuff we've had for the last fifty years (since Feb 1971 ).  You're right about Queen Victoria,  I remember coins bearing her head in circulation in the sixties, most of them very worn. Also all the kings from 1902 until Elizabeth, except Edward VIII. It made it easy for us kids to learn the succession of the monarchs and their dates.

Ben

• Horse chesnuts, I have hundreds and dry them before storing so they don't rot. They serve absolutely no purpose other than being periodically counted and sitting in cardboard boxes.

• This is me with my ample collection of old franc coins haha

• I love collecting key rings and keychains of all my favourite series and games I’m into, and I hang them up on this tree that’s use to hang up jewellery lol. I also like to collect vinyls and CDs as I really like music and learning about music!

• They call that dirt patina and you should never clean an old coin it takes most of the value away.