Autism and school

Hi, 

My child suspected Autism and awaiting an assessment. I am agreeing to the test because I want what's best for my child and get all appropriate help. However, concerns from my child's teacher has got me quite concerned.

The teacher is saying my child uses high pitched voice, smiles non stop, irrated by other children, flaps hands, stares into space, knows very little words and dislikes sensory play.

The information she has given me is not true. I see my child play and develop each day and none of these traits are correct.

The reason for suspected autism is because my child has poor communication, my child has 90 single words. My child also has issues with solids food. 

I'm wondering does anyone know will I be listened too if they write a report such as this and I disagree. Maybe they won't write a report such as that, but I just want a fair assessment 

Parents
  • U are doing the right thing for ur child to succeed in life i acted different at home to school home was my comfort zone and i could talk constantly now school i couldnt interact with other kids didnt know how to make a conversation no one want to be friends with me was alone with no support from teachers they just said i needed to build up my confidence its a positive thing ur childs teacher is noticing traits the noises and hand flapping are called stimming is an autistic trait.

• U are doing the right thing for ur child to succeed in life i acted different at home to school home was my comfort zone and i could talk constantly now school i couldnt interact with other kids didnt know how to make a conversation no one want to be friends with me was alone with no support from teachers they just said i needed to build up my confidence its a positive thing ur childs teacher is noticing traits the noises and hand flapping are called stimming is an autistic trait.

Children
  • I'm not arguing with you but as a parent I know my child doesn't do any of the traits she says. My child has been in many settings school, shops, supermarkets, restaurants, doctors, hospitals the list goes on and does none of these. If my child was I would be admitting to it and seeking help to suit these traits. I have been in school with my child and none of these traits where viewed.bviously if my child is autistic I'm not going to argue with it as I want the best help available as soon as possible. However, I want a fair true report written and not to be over exaccurated.