Autism Friendly Woodland Project

Hi

I am trying set up an Autism Friendly Woodland project.

Last year I spent most of my life savings and bought 3 1/2 acres of partially ancient woodland in North Devon with the aim of restoring it as a conservation project and eventually leaving it to the Woodland Trust.

The wood has not been looked after and I am looking for a few volunteers to help me to restore it and to help me to facilitate other Autistic people to go there and enjoy it.

This would involve clearing Rhododendrons, planting trees and hedges, cutting vines off ancient oak trees, creating ponds, putting up bird boxes and creating a new orchard. I hope that local Autism support groups could use it for annual picnics. Also Autistic people could, by arrangement go there to relax and get some space and even go camping.

It will be a very small project organised by Autistic people for Autistic people. Like all projects of this kind it’s success depends upon people getting involved. I could not see any other Autisic Woodland Projects in the UK and thought it would be a good idea to give this a try. It is a beautiful wild place and I find it a tremendously therapeutic place to be. I think it could be beneficial for other people too.

If there is anyone in Devon or can get to Devon easily, who is interested in volunteering, please could you get in touch with me.

Many thanks

Richard

Parents Reply Children
No Data